Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Transmission Cooler

Old 10-03-2010, 07:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wheezer
I finally did my transmission cooler install. These instructions really helped alot! The only thing I did different was I used the zip ties instead of the mounting brackets & screws.

I've ordered the B&M cooler and I'll be tackling the job this week. I've read all the way through this thread . Of all the install methods, the 'zip tie to the radiator' method looks the cleanest to me. With the driving I do, there's zero chance of getting mud behind the cooler - can anyone suggest any other reasons to not mount the cooler using the zip tie method?

Oh and thanks to the OP for the write-up and pictures - very helpful
Old 10-03-2010, 11:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pontiacstogo
I've ordered the B&M cooler and I'll be tackling the job this week. I've read all the way through this thread . Of all the install methods, the 'zip tie to the radiator' method looks the cleanest to me. With the driving I do, there's zero chance of getting mud behind the cooler - can anyone suggest any other reasons to not mount the cooler using the zip tie method?

Oh and thanks to the OP for the write-up and pictures - very helpful
I really don't think mud is an issue either. At least not for me...The concerns with the Zip ties vary..The big one is this..If your offroad alot, Gravel roads, wash board type stuff. This vibration and jarring can lead to the holes elongating where the zip ties go through both Ac/tran, and radiator. I have not personally seen this but have heard of it happening. I had a older Toyota 4X4 that I put an aftermarket Electric fan on. I Zipped that bad boy on the radiator and never had a problem..

That being said. Its so easy to use the brackets, I don't see a reason to use the ties unless that's just how you want to do it.

Its an easy and fun project however you hold that cooler down.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Done and done, thank you everyone who contributed to this thread.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Hot oil, hot oil

Had my first experience with this message, very annoying as I was wheeling up the hill. So I'll be doing this soon.
Any recommendations on b&m cooler? Use something bigger, add a fan, use the one from OP, or mount closer to rad.
I only wheel/tow occasionally
Old 10-07-2010, 07:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by schmugboy
Had my first experience with this message, very annoying as I was wheeling up the hill. So I'll be doing this soon.
Any recommendations on b&m cooler? Use something bigger, add a fan, use the one from OP, or mount closer to rad.
I only wheel/tow occasionally
The one the OP listed works great and I don't think you need to go any bigger..I run off road all the time. It just how it is here and I tow my Echo trailer with two ATV's. This trans cooler worked perfectly. I run right around 160 in town. Crawling off road I got up to maybe 170..On the HWY it runs around 150 ish.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ifshinxs
The concerns with the Zip ties vary..The big one is this..If your offroad alot, Gravel roads, wash board type stuff. This vibration and jarring can lead to the holes elongating where the zip ties go through both Ac/tran, and radiator. I have not personally seen this but have heard of it happening.
Thats exactly what happened to mine. Installed it using the plastic ties about a month ago. I wanted it as close to the radiator as possible so when the fan kicked on,the air would flow through the trans cooler as well. The problem was with the plastic ties. No matter how much I tried to tighten them,over the course of a couple weeks they'd work slightly loose.

Luckily I had kept the metal brackets and re-installed the cooler a couple days ago. Even with the cooler a couple inches from the radiator the fan pulls enough air through to help with the cooling still. Its much more secure with the metal brackets also.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Does mounting it to the condenser flatten the fins on the condenser? If a large bug hits mine they flatten.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lacmprs
Does mounting it to the condenser flatten the fins on the condenser? If a large bug hits mine they flatten.
I'm sure you saw the post before yours....I would use the metal brackets. Mounting your transcooler in front of your radiator will offer alittle protection from flying debris.
Old 10-09-2010, 06:09 PM
JK Freak

What about using metal ties?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MRG-6328/
Old 10-10-2010, 03:51 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 20JK10
What about using metal ties?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MRG-6328/
These look like they're meant to form a circle, no? We need a straight line.

Quick Reply: Transmission Cooler