Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Transmission Cooler

Old 09-05-2010, 05:00 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by scootrrydr
If it's so easy....come over and do mine!
provide the dinner and i'll be right over.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by racinjimy
I did my install last weekend. here is a picture of the end of the hard lines that I cut off. I could not get the 3/8 transmission line to not leak without cutting the ends off
I like the idea of the this type of connection, but do you think it would have been beneficial to have left the little ridges (not the lip at the end) in place for some extra grip on the hose? It is somewhat hard to tell if there is some grip factor there from the pictures.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:45 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Red Wings
I like the idea of the this type of connection, but do you think it would have been beneficial to have left the little ridges (not the lip at the end) in place for some extra grip on the hose? It is somewhat hard to tell if there is some grip factor there from the pictures.
the lip is not at the end.....it's after the "ridges" but it is those ridges that I think cause the leak.

I was trying to do what you are thinking and leave the hard line intact but it was just unnecessary fiddling, cut them off it takes 5 minutes and be done with it...........
Old 09-08-2010, 11:06 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Finally got this done....

Finally got around to doing this mod...thanks paratus13.

One quick note... I did remove the coolant overflow to give me more room to work with through the top, it simply slides off and back on...2 seconds...the extra room helped.

I drilled holes for my brackets instead of attaching them to the rubber pieces (not for sure if paratus13 did this or not)

Thanks again!
Old 09-10-2010, 03:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

I got the HOT OIL buzz and light show twice just out wheeling, I am going out this weekend to buy the stuff to do this mod. Thanks for for all good advice folks.
Old 09-11-2010, 09:07 PM
JK Freak

Thinking about doing this mod.

What is the most updated install info for the B&M Cooler (#70268). Is the original write up still current or have trial and error updates been made?

Also,

Those that have painted their brackets and hose clamps, what type of paint did you use? Should high temp paint be used? (I'm a novice, sorry).
Old 09-12-2010, 08:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ilflyya
Thinking about doing this mod.

What is the most updated install info for the B&M Cooler (#70268). Is the original write up still current or have trial and error updates been made?

Also,

Those that have painted their brackets and hose clamps, what type of paint did you use? Should high temp paint be used? (I'm a novice, sorry).
Some of these installs are very current and apart from a couple of slight variations the install is still the same. Only variations have been as follows;

1) The direction the cooler is mounted (inlet/outlet's up or on the side).
2) How the lines are routed (Direction wise).
3) Wether or not you use the brass fittings supplied by B&M to tap into the factory rubber line, or you install straight onto the metal line (Involves removing the OEM rubber line completely).
4) Lastly... which cooler you choose to use.

All variations seem to work. You can see my install, post 258 on page 26. Only thing not visible, due to not taking a photo, was I removed the factory rubber trans hose and installed the B&M lines straight onto the factory metal trans line. I'm very happy with my install and it should protect my transmission for the rest of its life.

This thread was very usefull to me and I thank the OP and everyone who contributed
Old 09-13-2010, 07:04 AM
JK Newbie

I used high temp paint only because I was painting my exhaust as well, the temps should only get to about 200F so any good automotive paint should work
Old 09-14-2010, 11:25 AM
JK Freak

Grayghost

Took JK into off-road shop for a Trans cooler, thought it would be a small one. When I got it back the cooler is approximately 7 1/2"X22"x1" (manufactured by LONG). This seems big, but the shop foreman said this is what they recommend for Unlimited JKs. He assured me it won't affect the motor cooling. What do you think??
Did they tell you the BTU rating

Any Pictures

Thanks
Old 09-15-2010, 08:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Did this mod yesterday. Easy! I've had that "hot oil" light come on and it ain't fun. Great mod! Thanks for the detailed write up.

Last edited by Five-O JK; 09-15-2010 at 08:00 AM. Reason: spelling

Quick Reply: Transmission Cooler