Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Transmission Cooler

Old 08-02-2010, 02:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is a nice kit and it does make a difference....

Make sure you go to Napa or a parts store and get 3/8" barb to barb adapters. The ones they come with are large and screw together, which could eventually have a leak. Its worth the 8 bucks for the better barbs.
Old 08-02-2010, 07:43 PM
JK Newbie

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhino64
I had the B&M with out The fan and also have a aeroforce gauge which will give me my trans temp. With out the fan on a 80 deg. day at slow travel it ran around 210 degs. Which was about the same as it ran with no cooler. On the Hwy it worked great. The B&M with the fan has no problems keeping the temp at very slow speeds well under 200 degs. even on hot days say 90 deg plus. Thats been my experience. As too the factory fan I did try useing my AC which kicks the fan on but noticed no difference with the old cooler
Would you post a pic of your aeroforce gauge? Like to see where/how you installed it.

Thanks.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:44 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Socal Tom
I've never seen an OEM setup like this before. Usually they want it warmed by the engine so that it gets to operating temp in cold temps. In that case, the only reason it would help cool the engine is that cooler transmissions are more efficient ?
Tom
Jeep went to a separate cooler, in front of radiator, design when they started to offer the life time power train warranty.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:50 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by thunderstrike
Jeep went to a separate cooler, in front of radiator, design when they started to offer the life time power train warranty.
I don't think it was associated with the lifetime warranty. The warranty started about 8 months after the change to an external transmission cooler. I say this assuming all 2007's have an external TOC, and 2006's don't.

I think it had more to do with changing to the 3.8L V6, which runs hotter than the 4.0 did.
The fan on the JK doesn't come on until the water temp reaches 215°F. Not good for the transmission fluid to be that high. If the fan ran all the time, the water temp would hover around 190°F to 195°F.

Last edited by ronjenx; 08-03-2010 at 05:55 AM.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:13 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ronjenx
I don't think it was associated with the lifetime warranty. The warranty started about 8 months after the change to an external transmission cooler. I say this assuming all 2007's have an external TOC, and 2006's don't.

I think it had more to do with changing to the 3.8L V6, which runs hotter than the 4.0 did.
The fan on the JK doesn't come on until the water temp reaches 215°F. Not good for the transmission fluid to be that high. If the fan ran all the time, the water temp would hover around 190°F to 195°F.
Is there a lower switch we can replace for fan to come on earlier?

Other option would be to run AC to keep the fan running?
Old 08-08-2010, 10:47 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Got mine put in on Saturday... very easy install, the hardest part was getting the tubes spliced together and screwing in those damn clamps.

I'd post pics, but they're exactly the same as everyone else's, plus I need to paint the brackets and bolts... they really stand out.

EDIT: I wanted to tell everyone to do this when the Jeep has been sitting over night. I barely lost any fluid when I cut the line.

Last edited by xerofall; 08-08-2010 at 10:54 PM.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:07 AM
JK Freak

Doin mine 2morrow thanks for the detailed write-up.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default t cooler

did mine, easy as pie

wondering how much fluid did you guys have to top up with, mine is almost a quart, seems a little high
Old 08-23-2010, 05:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default B&M 70268 Transmission Cooler

Here's a couple of photos of mine. It wasn't difficult as much as time consuming. I took my time and made it look as neat as possible. Most of my time was consumed fabricating the brackets so it sat just right and was evenly back spaced. I went with inlets up, and I left about a 1 inch gap between the B&M cooler and the A/C Condenser. I lost very little fluid when I cut the return line from the OEM cooler because it had been sitting in the garage most of the day, and I only had to add about 1/2 qt of ATF+4 after install to bring fluid levels back to normal level. Not the best photos but you get the idea...

Last edited by TheQuiet1; 08-23-2010 at 06:46 PM.
Old 08-24-2010, 02:19 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by rabidranger
Where do you measure the tranny temp, and how did you measure it for your comparison?
I measure mine in the line going to the coolers so I know the Max temp. Checked with Hayden Cooler people and they said their plate cooler can be mounted with the nipples in any direction as it is in a pressurized system and purges itself of any air. I also installed the hoses over the metal cooler lines so as to not reduce the flow by putting a hose nipple in the hose part of the lines. This can reduce the oil flow and therefore the efficiency of both the stock and after-market coolers. I put the cooler within 1/4 inch so the fan can pull as much air as possible through the cooler. This is a big help when moving slow on the trail. Out going oil from the trannie dropped from a max of 290 deg. to under 250 with the mid sized Hayden plate cooler, approx 11.5" by 7". A very significant difference. Jeep had to replace my trannie in my '08 JK as pulling a long hill in 2nd gear in Colo would push the temp over 290. This was on a gravel road traveling about 30 for 25 min.

Quick Reply: Transmission Cooler