Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Transmission Cooler

Old 03-28-2010, 04:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by badron5
Do you think this would help keep the steam from a cold rain or a puddle from spewing out from under the hood?

WOW!!!!
Old 03-28-2010, 04:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I din't read ALL 19 pages but has anyone asked which size is best to use so it will not have an effect on trans oil pressures? What inlet/outlet is the best to use?

With a cooler having a tube size (Or Bar/Plate) that is smaller than the OEM you will see delays in things like TC clutch engagement (Lockup) and or band aplication with lazy shifts.

A larger one if bypassing the OEM unit can also cause a pressure drop allowing slippage.

Cooler = happy and on my overbuilt Dodge/Cummins I run @ 160* and sees 180 after a full on drag pass. It is well cooled as the damn thing cost 7 grand as it has (and does just fine) to hold 1000 FtLbs of Tq and is built for 1700

Here is a good rule of thumb:

Old 03-30-2010, 05:56 AM
Bub
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by badron5
Do you think this would help keep the steam from a cold rain or a puddle from spewing out from under the hood?
Yes, it will--------justrussmeee
Old 03-30-2010, 06:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

I realy want to do this mod, but my dealership said it would void my warranty if i added a cooler.
Old 03-30-2010, 07:00 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Slightlymodified
I realy want to do this mod, but my dealership said it would void my warranty if i added a cooler.
I think there is a page in the owner's manual that recommends installing a transmission cooler. You might want to copy it for your dealer. You may also want to educate yourself, and then your dealer, about the Magnuson-Moss Act. Sounds to me like you are going to have some "issues" with your dealer and it is best to be prepared.
Old 03-30-2010, 07:57 PM
JK Jedi

Installed a cooler today. Had a check engine light come on. After adding some fluid and running a diagnostic the light turned off. As far as the warranty goes, I'll cross that bridge when it comes. I dont see how cutting a hose and adding a cooler could void the warranty. But then again, a broke company will do whatever it takes to deny meeting there obligations given the chance.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Here is a good link for you. www.impalaclub.com/naisso/magmoss.htm.

Last edited by wmcvey; 03-31-2010 at 05:17 PM.
Old 03-31-2010, 05:32 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Your dealer is wrong. They can't just say you have aftermarket mods therefore the warranty is void. They have to prove that the mods caused the failure.

As Mskh20 and wmcvey say above, look up the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

So many people report that dealers (service managers?) automatically spout this bullshit about voiding warranties, I wonder if it is a conscious decision or if they really are ignorant.....

Last edited by Jiblet; 03-31-2010 at 05:41 AM.
Old 03-31-2010, 06:52 AM
JK Freak

Now this is really getting to be funny the left hand doesn't know what the right doing. When I called my dealer about adding a trans cooler I was told that it was a good idea and it would not void my warranty. However with Chrysler in dire straights I wouldn't be to concerned about the life time warranty's chances are they'll be out of business in a few years and the Jeep line will be sold to some one else.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:43 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhino64
Now this is really getting to be funny the left hand doesn't know what the right doing. When I called my dealer about adding a trans cooler I was told that it was a good idea and it would not void my warranty. However with Chrysler in dire straights I wouldn't be to concerned about the life time warranty's chances are they'll be out of business in a few years and the Jeep line will be sold to some one else.
Presumeably a buyer keeps the liabilities when they buy a brand, meaning they would honor the warranties. I think only a bankruptcy court could alter that. Now if they just close up shop and walk away, then we're all SOL

But, my "Chrysler" B2B lifetime warranty is actually a separate entity. They handle Chrysler and Ford, among others. And when I called, they told me they are not related to Chrysler beyond the contracts. So hopefully I'm covered either way, so to speak.

Quick Reply: Transmission Cooler