Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Transmission Cooler

Old 02-23-2010, 05:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhino64
I had the B&M with out The fan and also have a aeroforce gauge which will give me my trans temp. With out the fan on a 80 deg. day at slow travel it ran around 210 degs. Which was about the same as it ran with no cooler. On the Hwy it worked great. The B&M with the fan has no problems keeping the temp at very slow speeds well under 200 degs. even on hot days say 90 deg plus. Thats been my experience. As too the factory fan I did try useing my AC which kicks the fan on but noticed no difference with the old cooler

Its also important to note that at low speeds the automatic trans will generate more heat than at higher speeds. Below stall speed of the torque converter it generates a lot of heat, which is also harder to get rid of at low speeds. Run in low range to keep the RPMs up and the trans will run cooler.
Tom
Old 02-23-2010, 05:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ronjenx
Nope.

The OEM transmission cooler sits in front of the radiator. It is the lower part of the A/C condenser/trans cooler assembly.
I've never seen an OEM setup like this before. Usually they want it warmed by the engine so that it gets to operating temp in cold temps. In that case, the only reason it would help cool the engine is that cooler transmissions are more efficient ?
Tom
Old 03-03-2010, 05:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you cut the oem line and connect the new hose lines which one goes to the top of the tranny cooler and which to the bottom of it? Left side of the cut oem line connect to the top or bottom of the tranny cooler? Also right side of the oem hose cut goes to top or bottom? I know which line to cut int he middle just not sure of which goes to top and bottom. Thanks
Old 03-04-2010, 08:10 AM
JK Super Freak

Anyone

This is where I am confused,

From writeup: The one from the bottom of the cooler will go to the hose coming from the front of the Jeep. The one from the top of the cooler will go to the hose going towards the transmission

When oem line is cut which way is to the Jeep and which to the cooler? Left or right side of the cut?
Old 03-04-2010, 08:19 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by seer1
Don't give up so easily!
ok, ok. but I'll definitely have to at least unbolt my winch and tilt it to get the grill off. which means removing the front skid. which means I'm pretty much uninstalling my winch.

I was able to get my new Cibié headlights in with the grill just partially off (tilted it away). but I know I shouldn't attempt the tranny cooler that way. I'll wind up breaking something & removing the winch afterwards!
Old 03-05-2010, 06:42 AM
JK Newbie

I had the same problem with the winch in the way of the grill. All you have to do is pull the grill out as much as you can to get a small flat head screw driver in the bottom and pry up the metal tabs on the clips. And use a pair of side cutters to cut off the center alignment plastic piece. After you you loosen up those clips it will slide out with ease. Because the metal clips will stay in and should give you enough play to get the grill out. OR just loosen up the whole bumper and pull it towards the front. This will not work for all applications but it worked well for me.
Old 03-05-2010, 05:22 PM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have maybe 1/8" or less between winch and grill. It ain't coming out.
Old 03-06-2010, 05:04 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by adamisadam
I have maybe 1/8" or less between winch and grill. It ain't coming out.
How will you change your headlight bulbs when they burn out?
Old 03-06-2010, 06:35 AM
JK Super Freak

Could someone just tell me what hoses go where, I will be doing this tomorrow hopefully. I have read and seen the pictures of the install, but I am still confused on the hoses. Someone correct me if I am wrong, I cut the top oem line, then i run lines from the tranny cooler. What side of the cut does the top and bottom hoses from the tranny cooler connect? Someone? anyone?
Old 03-06-2010, 07:59 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jason0341
Could someone just tell me what hoses go where, I will be doing this tomorrow hopefully. I have read and seen the pictures of the install, but I am still confused on the hoses. Someone correct me if I am wrong, I cut the top oem line, then i run lines from the tranny cooler. What side of the cut does the top and bottom hoses from the tranny cooler connect? Someone? anyone?
yeap cut the top OEM line, and the line from the TOP of the tranny cooler goes back to the transmission, the one from the bottom goes back to the radiator. so after the cut, the one from the top (when looking from the front of the jeep down) will go on the left side of the cut and the one from the bottom of the cooler will go to the right side of the cut. i know i prolly didnt explain that very well.

Quick Reply: Transmission Cooler