Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Transmission Cooler

Old 02-15-2010, 11:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjenx
When it says it should be 1/8" below the lowest mark, it is because at that point in the write-up, your fluid is cold. Plus, you want it at least on the stick before you run it too much.
It then tells you to recheck after the tranny warms up to normal operating temp. Then it should be near the "HOT" mark.
Anyone do a Tranny Cooler install and fluid flush at the same time? Do you think it's OK to drain the fluid from one of the cut hoses and replace it all with fresh synthetic?

Last edited by 08JKWrangler; 02-15-2010 at 01:03 PM.
Old 02-15-2010, 01:15 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by 08JKWrangler
Anyone do a Tranny Cooler install and fluid flush at the same time? Do you think it's OK to drain the fluid from one of the cut hoses and replace it all with fresh synthetic?
Not much fluid will drain from the hose.

ATF+4 is synthetic.
Old 02-16-2010, 05:55 PM
JK Newbie

Depending on the temperature of the ATF at the sump, the fluid level is varied. see attached chart

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	7a033a9d.jpg
Views:	1831
Size:	15.9 KB
ID:	37292  
Old 02-17-2010, 05:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Installed mine today

I installed mine this evening, I used the pics in this thread for hose routing pics. Great write up and I am glad to have seen it as I have been meaning to do this anyway. I used a maxicool cooler by Hayden automotive from Advance auto, it was $49.95 but I got 10% with a military discount so it worked for me and they look very well made they are all .75in thick and his one is 11x11.75in so it is roughly the same size. For mounting I used .75in flat bar a little overkill but I dont want it coming loose and there is about an inch of clearance between the back of the cooler and the condensor. So thanks for the grea write-up and I also used this time to black out my turn signals with some Black window tint Testor's (the model paint maker) spray paint.
Old 02-17-2010, 06:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Great Information! My tubes enter the side. I wasn't aware it made a difference which entered top vs. bottom... I will have to check. I suppose it addresses air entrapment. Surely I got it right as I haven't had any problems.

Regardless.... I am also considering a higher capacity pan... I read Rock Krawler will be making such.
Old 02-18-2010, 02:11 AM
JK Freak

I believe there is a post in this thread where it was stated that a stand alone trans cooler doesn't really do much good for trail riding. While they work well on the Hwy they don't do much good on the trail at slow speeds. I can confirm that to be true so if your installing one spend the extra few bucks and get a thermostat fan controlled unit you'll be much happier with it's preformance.
Old 02-18-2010, 03:27 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhino64
I believe there is a post in this thread where it was stated that a stand alone trans cooler doesn't really do much good for trail riding. While they work well on the Hwy they don't do much good on the trail at slow speeds. I can confirm that to be true so if your installing one spend the extra few bucks and get a thermostat fan controlled unit you'll be much happier with it's preformance.
how can you confirm that to be true?

it seems to me that the OEM fan will pull air through all cooling fins at low speeds, making the tranny cooler effective at low speeds. unless you are planning to have the added fan come on at lower temps, I don't see how it would make a difference. please elaborate.
Old 02-18-2010, 04:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by adamisadam

it seems to me that the OEM fan will pull air through all cooling fins at low speeds, making the tranny cooler effective at low speeds. unless you are planning to have the added fan come on at lower temps, I don't see how it would make a difference. please elaborate.
I would have to agree.
Old 02-18-2010, 04:23 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by adamisadam

I had the B&M with out The fan and also have a aeroforce gauge which will give me my trans temp. With out the fan on a 80 deg. day at slow travel it ran around 210 degs. Which was about the same as it ran with no cooler. On the Hwy it worked great. The B&M with the fan has no problems keeping the temp at very slow speeds well under 200 degs. even on hot days say 90 deg plus. Thats been my experience. As too the factory fan I did try useing my AC which kicks the fan on but noticed no difference with the old cooler
Old 02-18-2010, 04:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

anyone tried the 'Flex-a-lite TransLife Transmission Oil Cooler' on quadratec stie ? any impressions on it ?

http://www.quadratec.com/products/94000_4126.htm

Quick Reply: Transmission Cooler