Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Transmission Cooler

Old 06-16-2009, 12:01 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SLCJK
Thanks for the replys. I hope the dealership doesn't charge to much for a transmission fluid change. Hmmmm
Go change it! It is just like mixing a synthetic and regular oil together, they dont play well. Its not going to hurt anything as long as you dont keep it in there. You could do it yourself and save $, its not hard.
Old 06-16-2009, 05:15 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

A quick check of the owner's manual may have prevented the use of the wrong fluid. It is a tool that should see more use.
And, this forum can answer a lot of questions DIY'ers may have.

Not preaching, just would hate to see someone damage their Jeep.
Old 06-29-2009, 06:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cooler installed

I finally did my transmission cooler install. These instructions really helped alot! The only thing I did different was I used the zip ties instead of the mounting brackets & screws.

Thanks!
Old 06-30-2009, 08:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Modern synthetic and dyno mix fine!

Given that you have already cut the lines by adding the cooler, you could do the flush if you think the 8-16 oz you added is going to foul things up.

If you have ran the engine, the fluid you added should be evenly distributed throughout the fluid. The more fluid you take out and replace, the better. But the only way to get it all out is to flush (exchange) it all. You can do it at home by changing the fluid in the pan first. Then open one of the lines to the cooler and let about 2 qt at a time run out by turning on the engine and then shifting into N. Replace the fluid through the dipstick in 2 qt increments until you think you have removed enough.

There is a trans cooler write-up where the guy did the flush at the same time.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:35 AM
JK Junkie

Sorry for the slight hijack here, but I'm trying to post this up anywhere I'm seeing transmission cooler discussions. A while back I said I was trying the heat sink style of cooler: ht tp://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/60352/10002/-1 My reasoning was that it would be better if there was nothing in front of the radiator to restrict air flow. Welllll that turned out to be not so good an idea. This style of cooler does not work on the trail at all. I'm yanking this and going with the cooler Chuck45 put in his the B&M 70297 Hi-Tek Cooling System.
It comes with it's own fan which should make it ideal for the trail. Again, sorry for the hijack, I just don't think anyone else needs to make the same mistake I did.
Cheers
Old 08-22-2009, 08:45 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks, did my install today and this made it easier.
Old 08-22-2009, 06:59 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by seer1
Sorry for the slight hijack here, but I'm trying to post this up anywhere I'm seeing transmission cooler discussions. A while back I said I was trying the heat sink style of cooler: ht tp://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/60352/10002/-1 My reasoning was that it would be better if there was nothing in front of the radiator to restrict air flow. Welllll that turned out to be not so good an idea. This style of cooler does not work on the trail at all. I'm yanking this and going with the cooler Chuck45 put in his the B&M 70297 Hi-Tek Cooling System.
It comes with it's own fan which should make it ideal for the trail. Again, sorry for the hijack, I just don't think anyone else needs to make the same mistake I did.
Cheers
Hey Seer1,

Where did you end up mounting your B&M cooler ?
Old 08-23-2009, 07:09 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by wheezer
I finally did my transmission cooler install. These instructions really helped alot! The only thing I did different was I used the zip ties instead of the mounting brackets & screws.

Thanks!
that does look purdy. I have one mounted on my `68 LeMans and it's very well hidden (car looks stock).

Only conern about mounting it to the radiator is MUD! Getting mud in between the coolers will be a bear to get out. That alone might be reason to use brackets and get several inches in between the two. If you don't mud, don't worry about it. Tranny coolers have been mounted for decades using the plastic screws.

My other concern is warranty. I have lifetime B2B on top of Powertrain. Obviously, I'd prefer to never have the claim, but if I did, I wonder if they'd give me a hard time due to the aftermarket cooler should my tranny ever die. Ironic when you think about it.

I think I'll put one in. They just plain HELP SO MUCH! It's really a wonder why manufacturers don't put bigger collers in all cars. Well, as I think about it, they have them working enough to get them out of the warranty period.

Thanks for the good write up!
Old 08-23-2009, 01:31 PM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by adamisadam
I wonder if they'd give me a hard time due to the aftermarket cooler should my tranny ever die.

I believe they would have to prove that the additional cooler mod CAUSED the failure.
Old 08-23-2009, 03:09 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by adamisadam
I wonder if they'd give me a hard time due to the aftermarket cooler should my tranny ever die. Ironic when you think about it.
The factory service manual recommends an additional transmission cooler if the owner's driving style causes the automatic transmission to overheat.
They could squawk only if your cooler was not installed correctly or if it plugged up or sprung a leak and lead to transmission failure.

Quick Reply: Transmission Cooler