Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Subwoofer Relocation

Old 04-13-2007, 07:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First, the subwoofer is pretty protected from branches and such as it's pretty tucked in between the passenger door sill and the roll bar so won't suffer any serious damage. If it is raining, however, I'm sure it will get wet (as will everything else), but I'm not about to drive around with the top down in the rain.

As for the plastic retainers in the wheel well, yup, they have to be replaced. The pushed in plastic tabs (5ea) can be reused, but the plastic rivets that hold the inner plastic wheelwell to the outer plastic fender at the outer lip cannot be reused. You can get them from the dealer for $1 apiece. When you get them, they look and are used JUST LIKE PLASTIC RIVETS! In fact you must use a rivet gun to install them. But before you proceed, I must warn you that they need a 7/32" riveter. Most hand held riveters (including mine) do not go that large. Mine will install 3/32", 1/8", 5/32", and 3/16" rivets. I had to do some searching to find a riveter that can install 7/32" rivets. I finally found on from Eastwoods. http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?i...emType=PRODUCT

This can even install one size up (1/4") from the size needed. I now have one in my vast tool collection. It works wonderfully to install the factory plastic rivets, and you don't have to take off the wheel to use it. I recommend replacing the pressed-in plastic retainers as well, they're dirt cheap from Advanced Auto parts, or the dealership.

Hope that helps you out.

Tom
Bryson City, NC
Old 05-29-2007, 11:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you had the top down since you relocated the sub?

I just installed my Add-a-trunk and with the top down it doesn't look like there is enough room for the sub to fit.
Old 05-30-2007, 04:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BTW - for anyone doing this, you don't need to splice in extra wire. The wiring comes in from the front and passes by the new location.

I'm mounting mine flat on the floor of the cargo area. 1 - because I don't have enough room between the side of the Add-a-trunk and the bars of the soft top (when down) & 2 - for added security and weather protection since it is inside the trunk. Wastes some space but I don't have many other choices with the goofy shaped factory sub box.
Old 08-18-2007, 09:34 AM
JK Newbie

I Haven't looked into it yet, but what about reloing it under the passenger side of the rear seat. Flat of course so the seat will still fold. i am not sure if this will interfere or not. Gonna check when I get home tonight now that I bring it up.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:41 AM
JK Newbie

Resurrecting this old thread - has anyone relocated the sub to under the passenger's seat?

Originally Posted by rskinner
I Haven't looked into it yet, but what about reloing it under the passenger side of the rear seat. Flat of course so the seat will still fold. i am not sure if this will interfere or not. Gonna check when I get home tonight now that I bring it up.
Old 10-03-2008, 02:04 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Scooter
Resurrecting this old thread - has anyone relocated the sub to under the passenger's seat?
anybody?
Old 10-03-2008, 07:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

under the passenger seat....I think this might be the best place to put it
Old 09-02-2009, 09:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Anybody installed the stock sub under the passenger seat?
Old 12-23-2009, 03:31 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by hvilla
Anybody installed the stock sub under the passenger seat?
I am VERY curious to know, ( I have permanently taken my back seat out [2-door], and have it all open now), so since the seat is not there, that "foot space" if the Sub can be placed into to the spot where peoples feet usually go if there was a seat there. Somebody has also mentioned the underside of the passenger seat, but the Airbag wires and stuff are under there, ( I think I have MORE room under the drivers seat though. BUTT (LOL) I do not want the sub under my rear end! So has anybody placed it in that foot area behind the seats? It is for me anyway, wasted space, where all things roll down there to die!
Old 06-02-2011, 01:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

anyone ? under the passenger seat ??? 2 years since last post so i am sure someone should have tried this by now!!!! does it work ????

Quick Reply: Subwoofer Relocation