Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Stubbie bumper 101

Old 05-01-2009, 03:40 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ANybody have pics of the bumper off and what section of the metal peice and plastic anchor nuts left or cut off? I really want to do this soon but like I said just need a little more info and pics to get it right before cuttin
Old 05-03-2009, 04:58 PM
JK Newbie

I did the mid stubby a couple weekends ago. I'm pretty pleased with the outcome. I followed akonius instructions which were great. To try to answer scorpions questions I cut 4.5 inches off the plastic and 4.75 inches off the metal portion. I used a jigsaw with a wood blade for the plastic and a metal cutting jigsaw blade on the metal. I thought it would take a while to cut the metal but it only took about 2 minutes total. Once I fit the end caps in place I drilled the holes per akonius instructions but instead of using rivets I found black plastic pop in rivets at lowes. Cleaned it good and used dupli-color bumper paint.

Last edited by Mcfly757; 05-04-2009 at 03:36 AM.
Old 05-03-2009, 05:52 PM
JK Super Freak

Looks good McFly. I enjoyed doing that mod.
Old 05-03-2009, 06:20 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks Brit. I have borrowed quite a few mods from the creative thinkers on this site. I'm glad so many are willing to share them. It is a great resource.
Old 05-03-2009, 08:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mcfly757
I did the mid stubby a couple weekends ago. I'm pretty pleased with the outcome. I followed tinman's instructions which were great. To try to answer scorpions questions I cut 4.5 inches off the plastic and 4.75 inches off the metal portion. I used a jigsaw with a wood blade for the plastic and a metal cutting jigsaw blade on the metal. I thought it would take a while to cut the metal but it only took about 2 minutes total. Once I fit the end caps in place I drilled the holes per tinman's instructions but instead of using rivets I found black plastic pop in rivets at lowes. Cleaned it good and used dupli-color bumper paint.
McFly...not to hijack or take anything away from Tinman's thread - but you're referring to my "Stock Bumper Mid-width chop job" thread in your message above. I did a similar job to Tinman's, we only took slightly different approaches. that's why I made my own thread on the process. My thread can be seen here with the 4 1/2" cuts, dimensions for rivet drilling and duplicolor application etc.:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76663&referrerid=17129

BTW - you did a great, clean job with your bumper and I like how you finished your edges with a bevel...nice work!
Old 05-04-2009, 03:26 AM
JK Newbie

Akonius, my apologies. I thought that I was referencing the right thread. I have several book marked and used yours as my guide but clicked on the wrong one as I tried to figure out how to post pics. Like I said above I used a lot of ideas from all and I appreciate all of the creative thinking. Just trying to help answer scorpions questions. Thanks for pointing that out.

Last edited by Mcfly757; 05-04-2009 at 03:45 AM.
Old 05-07-2009, 08:27 AM
JK Freak

Looks REAL good McFly! Thanks for the pics.

Still a bit foggy though as I see three bits in your pics and only know 2 of them lol.

I was hoping for tape lines or measurements and shots before cutting the metal bumper and after... and some shots of in behind the bumper of how it's supposed to look like after the fact as well.

Very nice clean install though... hope when I get the nerve to do it it'll come out as nice. Thanks again so much for the help... it did clear some fog but since I'm a little slow and a huge visual learner it takes me longer to get things

Awesome job!
Old 05-07-2009, 08:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by scorpion king
Looks REAL good McFly! Thanks for the pics.

Still a bit foggy though as I see three bits in your pics and only know 2 of them lol.

I was hoping for tape lines or measurements and shots before cutting the metal bumper and after... and some shots of in behind the bumper of how it's supposed to look like after the fact as well.

Very nice clean install though... hope when I get the nerve to do it it'll come out as nice. Thanks again so much for the help... it did clear some fog but since I'm a little slow and a huge visual learner it takes me longer to get things

Awesome job!
scorpion,

check out my write up - I have pics of the actual cutting of the steel bumper...all I ended up doing was cutting the ends off (if you're not installing a winch plate that is...) The link to my write up is above in my last post.
Old 05-07-2009, 08:42 AM
JK Freak

LOL... I think while I was checking your link you were responding here LOL... you have a post in your thread too LOL

Thanks
Old 05-07-2009, 08:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by scorpion king
LOL... I think while I was checking your link you were responding here LOL... you have a post in your thread too LOL

Thanks
LOL - I just realized that - I just replied to you on my other thread in regards to your question of Tinmans angled cut vs my reverse angle cut...there's a specific reason for the way I did mine...check the response.

Quick Reply: Stubbie bumper 101