Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Stealth E-ZPass transponder under grill

Old 05-21-2013, 11:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stealth E-ZPass transponder under grill

Didn't want E-ZPass transponder uglifying the windscreen or my license plate, so I removed the grille cover and tie-wrapped it to the metal bar near the bottom of the radiator. No drilling or cutting or anything, and it's rigid & secure. This is so incredibly easy that its hardly worthy of a writeup but why not...

- prop open the hood

- disconnect the grill-mounted turn signal connections just behind the grille on the driver & passenger sides by sliding the red locking tab to the unlocked position, pinching down the release "lever" on the connector and pulling the plug out. If you are forcing anything, you're doing it wrong. Comes out with very little force when done right.

- remove six plastic clips across the length of the grille. Four across the middle, and one at each far end. Easiest to do this by using two wide, flat-bladed screwdrivers at the same time. The clips can be reused. Each consists of a center "pin" and a round "outer" section. Pop the pin up by the head using the 2 screwdrivers; it should come up about half an inch. Then with your fingers just wiggle the entire clip out.

- The bottom of the grille is held in place by six "wedge" retaining clips. Grab the grille near its bottom edge, near one of the clips (you should be able to see them), and quickly yank outward. Make sure you are yanking near the clips so they pop out easily instead of prying them and bending the grille. Do the same near all six clips.

- Secure the transponder to the metal bar at the bottom of the grille using two cable ties. I used 8-inch ties. Run them through the transponder's existing mounting holes. NOTE: Transponder is directional... make sure you don't install it upside down or backwards. NOTE: Don't cover the lower retaining clip slots with the cable ties. Once mounted, the transponder and ties should still be able to be moved back and forth to locate it out of the way of the clips.

- Replace the grille by first making sure the turn signal wires aren't going to get pinched when you push the grille back on, then pop the lower edge in first (six clips) and then the upper (six round clips). For the round clips insert the outer part first, then follow with the pin.

- Finally, don't forget to reinstall both turn signal plugs, and slide the red locking tabs back to their locked positions.

- Sit back and have a be-- Oh wait... Take it for a test drive through an E-ZPass toll booth to make sure the signal is still strong enough to activate the money-maker at the booth. I don't have a winch or bumper bits on my front end so the only thing blocking the transponder is the plastic grille - should not be an issue unless there's lots of metal in that paint. I haven't tested mine yet.

- Okay, assuming it works, drive home and NOW have that beer while admiring your stealthy install. If you have a vanity plate, don't forget to admire it now that an ugly transponder isn't stuck to it. If you have a windshield with 4x4/Jeep/Website decals across the top, don't forget to admire it now that an ugly transponder isn't stuck to the inside.

Old 05-21-2013, 11:26 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome Idea i put mine on clear velcro and take it off you cant see behined the daystar top consol panel i have nice idea though I like it
Old 05-25-2013, 07:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

I like the idea, but my ez pass is one of the white tags for windshield placement. Where did you get the license plate kind?

I'd love to do this so it's less likely to be stolen.

-FD

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 05-26-2013, 03:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Fooddude
I like the idea, but my ez pass is one of the white tags for windshield placement. Where did you get the license plate kind?
They offered both types at my local E-ZPass walk-in center. The license plate mounting style costs about $3 more than the more common windshield style. Not sure if other states offer the license style, but if not, I don't see any reason why the windshield style couldn't be attached under the grille. Just make sure it's weatherproof (and maybe paint it black while you're at it, or wrap it in black vinyl tape).
Old 05-26-2013, 03:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks. I've sen them on vehicles here in NY (Long Island) but they don't seem to be available via ez pass.

I will wrap the tag in black shrink wrap and try this, but the tag has no holes, so I will zip tie in both directions and hope for the best. Hoping the tag is readable.

I currently slip mine in the space between windshield and dash. It fits perfectly with no sliding as I turn. I'll keep you posted if it works. Will need it next in about 3 weeks, just enough time to get this done on top of my other projects.

While I have you, and I know it's not part of this thread (I did start one for mounting/assistance) I need help/ideas for mounting something. Can I PM you?

-FD

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 05-26-2013, 03:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

I will zip tie in both directions and hope for the best. Hoping the tag is readable.
They seem to want to be in a specific orientation, with the flat face forward and maybe tilted slightly upward (makes sense if the sensor at the toll booth is located on the booth's roof). There's probably some leeway here but try to have it facing forward if possible, and of course don't block it with metal (fortunately the grill is plastic).

While I have you, and I know it's not part of this thread (I did start one for mounting/assistance) I need help/ideas for mounting something. Can I PM you?
Of course, no problem.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:21 PM
JK Newbie

You need to call easy pass and tell them that your vehicle has a heated wind screen and the regular tag won't read...
Old 08-26-2013, 02:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Cool idea. Always think someone is going to steal mine.
Old 08-26-2013, 03:36 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by mostlystock
Didn't want E-ZPass transponder uglifying the windscreen or my license plate, so I removed the grille cover and tie-wrapped it to the metal bar near the bottom of the radiator. No drilling or cutting or anything, and it's rigid & secure. This is so incredibly easy that its hardly worthy of a writeup but why not...

- prop open the hood

- disconnect the grill-mounted turn signal connections just behind the grille on the driver & passenger sides by sliding the red locking tab to the unlocked position, pinching down the release "lever" on the connector and pulling the plug out. If you are forcing anything, you're doing it wrong. Comes out with very little force when done right.

- remove six plastic clips across the length of the grille. Four across the middle, and one at each far end. Easiest to do this by using two wide, flat-bladed screwdrivers at the same time. The clips can be reused. Each consists of a center "pin" and a round "outer" section. Pop the pin up by the head using the 2 screwdrivers; it should come up about half an inch. Then with your fingers just wiggle the entire clip out.

- The bottom of the grille is held in place by six "wedge" retaining clips. Grab the grille near its bottom edge, near one of the clips (you should be able to see them), and quickly yank outward. Make sure you are yanking near the clips so they pop out easily instead of prying them and bending the grille. Do the same near all six clips.

- Secure the transponder to the metal bar at the bottom of the grille using two cable ties. I used 8-inch ties. Run them through the transponder's existing mounting holes. NOTE: Transponder is directional... make sure you don't install it upside down or backwards. NOTE: Don't cover the lower retaining clip slots with the cable ties. Once mounted, the transponder and ties should still be able to be moved back and forth to locate it out of the way of the clips.

- Replace the grille by first making sure the turn signal wires aren't going to get pinched when you push the grille back on, then pop the lower edge in first (six clips) and then the upper (six round clips). For the round clips insert the outer part first, then follow with the pin.

- Finally, don't forget to reinstall both turn signal plugs, and slide the red locking tabs back to their locked positions.

- Sit back and have a be-- Oh wait... Take it for a test drive through an E-ZPass toll booth to make sure the signal is still strong enough to activate the money-maker at the booth. I don't have a winch or bumper bits on my front end so the only thing blocking the transponder is the plastic grille - should not be an issue unless there's lots of metal in that paint. I haven't tested mine yet.

- Okay, assuming it works, drive home and NOW have that beer while admiring your stealthy install. If you have a vanity plate, don't forget to admire it now that an ugly transponder isn't stuck to it. If you have a windshield with 4x4/Jeep/Website decals across the top, don't forget to admire it now that an ugly transponder isn't stuck to the inside.
Excellent idea! I just ordered my vanity plate, as you would know, Maine is either the first or second highest states for % of people with vanity plates...

I just picked mine "RD ENDS"

Matthew

Quick Reply: Stealth E-ZPass transponder under grill