Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Spark plug removal

Old 12-09-2019, 09:30 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Spark plug removal

So I scrounged the old interweb to find the easiest way to replace the spark plugs on my 2008 JK in particular the one by the passenger side firewall. I found that using the 5/8 spark plug socket along w the 3/4 socket and a short extension was all that was needed to get that badboy out. I also sprayed the plugs w WD40 the day prior just to make it a bit easier to work with.

I read and watched videos that recommended taking out the the battery tray, removing the front fender o just taking it to the dealership.

The way I did it was so much easier and cut all of that fender removal shenanigans from the picture and saved some time. Hope it helps

Old 12-09-2019, 10:46 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

So you came in at it from the top? I cheated and pulled the fender flare and liner out. You can look directly at the plug.
Old 12-09-2019, 12:29 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by karls10jk
So you came in at it from the top? I cheated and pulled the fender flare and liner out. You can look directly at the plug.
Yup, I knocked it out going at it from the top. It was very easy to do so as well. I used a rubber vacuum line attached to then of the plug to get the plug back into each hole initially to avoid cross threading as well. Then finished off w the plug socket.

I'm not to familiar w taking fenders off. Seemed too time consuming for me. But if it works it works. I just wanted to put another tool in everyone's toolbox.

Quick Reply: Spark plug removal