Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Solid Diff Cover Install

Old 08-03-2007, 05:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Major Ho
So whats everyone else using for the Solid Fill plug? I did find a 17mm hex bit at sears but that was a little too big, no other big sizes available.
To secure my plugs. I used a 3/8" All thread nut.

The outer circumference is the needed 9/16". Slide it into the plug and then use a 9/16" socket to turn. It takes up less space in the tool box and way cheaper than buying a allen wrench socket.
Old 08-03-2007, 05:53 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by seer1
It was weird, the 30 cover came bare and I figure iron and rust just love each other so a bit-o-paint was in order. The 44 cover was already that cool gray powder coat so it was already okay. Red front and gray in the back puzzles the observant. I like that in a Jeep. Besides, it's my old college colors.
Solid starting having the covers powder coated, you got one from before
Old 08-03-2007, 08:36 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I figured they must've been two different production runs. Although I don't know how thick powder coating is, I wonder if that was the cause of the clearance issues I had between some of the bolts and the casting body.

Last edited by seer1; 08-03-2007 at 08:39 PM.
Old 03-10-2008, 03:54 PM
JK Freak

Installed my rear Solid cover today. The D 44 cover was actually lacking the paint on mine. I guess I can always hit it with the rattle can. I was under the impression that I would be able to at least get my finger into the fluid with the 2 quarts in it. Anyway.....I could not...so I put I put about another 3/4 quart. So far no leaking anywhere. Is that way too much? I also found it easier to use the stock bolts on the left side of the diff as it was easier to get the socket onto the bolt where the casting protrudes. The left side has the stock bolts and the right side has the bolts that came with it. I did not want to pull the solid bolts as the seal was curing...Those lube locker seals look real clean...maybe next change....
Old 03-10-2008, 04:07 PM
JK Freak

Antbody know if that will be too much fluid for the rear....?....AND..this might sound real dumb..But if I do them one at a time...will the seal get F@#&'d up if I replace the remaining bolts with the stock ones?
Old 03-10-2008, 04:39 PM
JK Freak

Thanks Toad...It seems like these covers will hold more fluid than the stock ones so I dont think a little extra will be too bad..Did you use just the gasket seal that came with the covers or that high speed looking gasket.?
Old 03-11-2008, 11:19 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Also just a update all the covers now come with new hardware so you will not have any problems.

David
Old 03-11-2008, 02:03 PM
JK Freak

Today I reinstalled the rear cover and installed the front cover, using the factory hardware...Wasn't too bad except there is a minimal amount of fluid leaking from the lower portion of the rear cover....was I supposed to wait a while before I dove?....anyway..its very minimal..hoping tyhe seal will finish curing and it will be fine. I torqued the bolts to about 27 ft lb's...Any reason that there would be some leakage?
Old 03-11-2008, 02:28 PM
JK Freak

Should I just order the Lube Locker gaskets that Seer used?....would any auto parts store have some type of gasket?...Thanks in advance
Old 03-11-2008, 02:30 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

The fill plugs look a lot higher than the stock cover fill plugs. If you are supposed to check level and fill to the bottom of the fill hole on the stock covers, how do you do that on the "SOLID" covers?

Quick Reply: Solid Diff Cover Install