Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Six-dollar dash upgrade

Old 08-14-2007, 05:27 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Rescue Green, and am debating whether to paint them to match the body, or to paint them Silver....

Any recommendations?!

Also, lets see some more pictures of those speaker grilles and tweeters painted!
Old 08-14-2007, 08:01 AM
JK Newbie

Default Coats

Originally Posted by Grant211
Has anybody used any clearcoat?

I am going to use the adhesion promoter and vinyl spray paint that has been recommended on this thread. How many coats is everybody applying?
I did three coats of each, with time in between coats. If I remember correctly, the adhesion promoter says to paint no longer than ten minutes after the last coat. Good luck.
Old 08-14-2007, 06:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Will touch up paint work to paint these too?? I'm looking to paint my vent bezels rescue green.
Old 08-15-2007, 07:30 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Clarification on the mod....

FYI: You have to turn the whole vent and outer ring (bezel) about a 1/4 turn to remove the whole vent as a unit then remove the plastic ring (bezel) off the top of the vent assembly. It should turn and come out easily, two of the vents turn one way, two the other. Do not use force.
Old 08-15-2007, 08:04 AM
JK Junkie

Has anybody used any clearcoat?

I am going to use the adhesion promoter and vinyl spray paint that has been recommended on this thread. How many coats is everybody applying?
I meant to post this awhile back... I did this mod in Jeep Green, and like the look. I applied two coats of "touch up paint" with the small brush that comes with the paint, let it dry, and then used some Krylon clear coat to seal it in... it looks pretty sharp, but I think I may sand it smoother and then hit it up with some more clear coat. Props to armycop for the great idea!
Old 08-15-2007, 08:28 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by souvlaki99
I have a Rescue Green, and am debating whether to paint them to match the body, or to paint them Silver....

Any recommendations?!

Also, lets see some more pictures of those speaker grilles and tweeters painted!
I've got the flame red and am debating whether to to body color or silver....

Using the body color would look great on just the vents...but I like what Wolf did with the tweeters/speakers/vents with the silver. I think if you did all those pieces with the body color it'd be too much...
Old 08-15-2007, 05:43 PM
JK Super Freak

FYI - To those that attempt to take off the a/c rings and vents for the first time...

All of mine turned clockwise to loosen. Just press firmly and start to twist to the right.
Same here. Just did this tonite. Also pained the 2 large plastic "thumb" screws that secure the front 2 pieces of the hard top.
Old 08-16-2007, 07:55 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by DeepSky
Same here. Just did this tonite. Also pained the 2 large plastic "thumb" screws that secure the front 2 pieces of the hard top.
Got pics of the thumb screws? I thought about doing them, but will probably just do the bezel on the dome light and call it good.
Old 08-16-2007, 08:46 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by wolfpacker
Got pics of the thumb screws? I thought about doing them, but will probably just do the bezel on the dome light and call it good.
I'll post some later tonite, they look really good IMO. Unfortunatly I'm going to have to re-do all my vent rings because the "Clear coat" I picked up left the colour a bit washed out :/
Old 08-16-2007, 09:04 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by DeepSky
I'll post some later tonite, they look really good IMO. Unfortunatly I'm going to have to re-do all my vent rings because the "Clear coat" I picked up left the colour a bit washed out :/
Ditto - After posting yesterday, I decided to use my Dremel with its polishing head and "sand" the clear coat... that went OK, but then I went really heavy on the clear coat, and as a result I kind of "muted" the color...

Quick Reply: Six-dollar dash upgrade