Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Six-dollar dash upgrade

Old 04-23-2010, 07:52 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did my A/C vents bezels already with Dupli-Color Factory Paint. 3 coats of adhesion promoter, 3 coats of the paint and another 3 of the Dupli-Color Factory Match Finisher... They came out looking nice! Now, I'm so motivated that want to do the steering wheel spokes, tweeters and sound bar speakers. But I'm afraid I could not find a post that talked about removing the steering wheel spokes and tweeters.... Maybe it is just me, a noob! If anyone knows, it would be much appreciate it!!! I'll post pics as soon as I have the job done... By the way, mine is a JK 4Door Unlimited..

Thanks!
Old 04-26-2010, 06:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nachonator
I did my A/C vents bezels already with Dupli-Color Factory Paint. 3 coats of adhesion promoter, 3 coats of the paint and another 3 of the Dupli-Color Factory Match Finisher... They came out looking nice! Now, I'm so motivated that want to do the steering wheel spokes, tweeters and sound bar speakers. But I'm afraid I could not find a post that talked about removing the steering wheel spokes and tweeters.... Maybe it is just me, a noob! If anyone knows, it would be much appreciate it!!! I'll post pics as soon as I have the job done... By the way, mine is a JK 4Door Unlimited..

Thanks!
I did the tweeters,

And the bezels on the sound bar

The tweeters were really easy, just take out the screw behind them, and they twist out of the housing. I masked off the inner grill with blue painters tape, and used an xacto to trim it to shape.

If you have a Sahara, then the covers on the steering wheel spokes will pop off, just be gentle with them. If not...I'm not sure what the easiest way to do it would be.

Good luck
Old 04-26-2010, 07:15 PM
JK Freak

ok now its mod time... thanks for the tips and cool pics..
Old 04-26-2010, 07:19 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by nachonator

Thanks!
there's an easier way to get the tweeters off just use a small knife or mini prybar and get it up and in around the front ring and it pops right off... no need to mask anything just lay and spray! good luck!
Old 04-26-2010, 09:30 PM
JK Newbie

Default Six dollar dash upgrade

I just did mine too. I guess i should have cleaned up the Jeep before taking the pics.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jeep 3.0 018..jpg
Views:	486
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	63438  
Old 05-02-2010, 02:07 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to do the dash cluster

Many were asking but no one seemed to post how. So....

It takes all of about 4 minutes to completely take apart the instrument cluster and even less to put it back together. I was going to take pics of the process but I found a website that actually sells different color instrument faces and they had pics so I "borrowed" them.

1: Remove plastic cover below steering wheel.

2. Remove 2 x 7MM Cluster Cover Screws

3. Remove Cluster Cover

4. Remove 4 x 7MM Cluster Screws (seen below with the lense and face already removed)

5. Pull Cluster out, pull out 3 electrical connectors in the rear, then remove and then separate the cluster – Just look at it and it will make complete sense.

6. Take Cluster Face unit and repaint. I used Krylon Fusion black. 3 coats and it’s done! My finished product:

Last edited by TheMike; 05-02-2010 at 02:10 PM.
The following users liked this post:
froggy_abc (07-15-2023)
Old 05-03-2010, 04:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks, I've been wondering how to open it up, just haven't taken the time to look very closely
The following users liked this post:
froggy_abc (07-15-2023)
Old 05-03-2010, 04:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks TheMike !! I have been planning on doing this for months, but I work so much better from pictures Love the black, sooo much better than that crappy silver! Thanks again
Old 05-08-2010, 01:48 AM
JK Newbie

I am a new jeep owner, my first. And not my last.
I did my vents and speakers this past week.

Old 05-10-2010, 12:17 AM
JK Newbie

If I missed it I am sorry, but does anyone have a write up on how to take the center dash apart? I was wanting to paint the sides and add light switches.

Quick Reply: Six-dollar dash upgrade