Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Six-dollar dash upgrade

Old 02-13-2009, 08:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bump............
Old 02-15-2009, 09:34 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

love it, any one got pics in silver
Old 03-03-2009, 06:51 AM
JK Newbie

Today I was thinking that I would like to add a small touch to the inside and outside of my JK. I'll post the outside one later. For now I will show you the AC rings I painted.

First I started by taking them out. If you don't know how to do this, all you need to do is hold onto the whole housing and turn clockwise. They should come off easy. The un-clip the tabs on the side making sure you don't break them.

then I wiped the rings with rubbing alcohol making sure the surface is totally clean. I then lightly sprayed them with metallic paint. I want to use the same color paint that I used on the outside project that I'll post tomorrow. I think it looks much better when you keep to one theme. Anyways, I put on 3 coats of this paint.

I then sprayed 2 coats of clear coat. I wanted to make sure one that they're totally sealed and two that the sparkles didn't fly everywhere when I used my AC. I waited 30 mins in between each coat and 45 mins on the last coat to make sure they were completely dry. Then you just snap on, making sure once again you don't break the clips. Then install back into the housing in the Jeep. This is what the finished product looks like.

As you can see I didn't want to do anything too crazy, just a light hint of something to highlight the inside a bit. I hope you like the finished product.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:32 AM
JK Newbie

Here's mine:

To get the Sunburst Orange color I used gold and a wierd transparent candy orange spraypaint from Wal-Mart. First I sprayed on a layer of gold, let it dry, then I sprayed 4 coats of the orange, letting each coat dry of course. I'll look and see what exactly the paint I used was.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:26 PM
HGF
JK Newbie

wow completely missed this thread i did this a couple weeks ago, rescue green on the A/C rings...looks great, may have to do the instruments and speakers now having seen everything on here
Old 03-09-2009, 08:31 PM
Sponsoring Vendor
Off Road Evolution Rep

Originally Posted by Cavedweller
Here's mine:

To get the Sunburst Orange color I used gold and a wierd transparent candy orange spraypaint from Wal-Mart. First I sprayed on a layer of gold, let it dry, then I sprayed 4 coats of the orange, letting each coat dry of course. I'll look and see what exactly the paint I used was.
I like the Sunburst.... great job!
Old 03-12-2009, 08:28 PM
JK Newbie

Ok so when I first joined this site I saw all the cool things I never thought about doing. Well one of those was painting the AC rings, but like most things, the rings just weren't enough! So here is the inside of my JK. Just a few touches of paint to show off her beauty lol I hope you like?

painted gauges:

tweeter ring and gauges:

AC rings:

gear shift ring & console bracket I made:

oh sh*t handle:

sound bar:

So yeah let me know what ya think. Also please excuse the dirt, it's been awhile since she had a bath.
Old 03-13-2009, 07:27 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Canadian Bear
I added more colour to my sound bar, as well, but I forgot to post these,

"jk2nv", I didn't think about the ring around the dome light. Thank you for that idea, .
That's looking good. Yeah that ring is kind of a pain. You have to drop the lens down and then the ring will drop out together. Also the clip is on the backside of that ring. It's kind of hard to see. But yeah I think it looks good and kind of ties the speaker rings together. Again yours is looking good!
Old 03-20-2009, 04:54 PM
JK Newbie

Default Flame Red Trim

This is a great post, I loved every picture I saw and ordered some Flame Red paint from the dealer. Went a little crazy seeing what I could pull off like you all did and here is what I ended up with. I liked having a "ring" around the tweeters and speakers in the sound bar so I taped them off. You cannot see the sound bar speakers in these pics but they are painted same as tweeters.

The other thing you cannot see is the color of my hard top. I painted the plain white inside of the hard top with some spray in bed liner from a rattle can and not it is textured black to match the rest of the interior. I dont know why Jeep left the inside white, it looks so lame!

The latest thing I am working on now is putting a pineapple grenage where the auto shift is. I am trying to draft and machine something so I dont have to buy the "Geenie Lo-Dapt II" adaptor and dont wanna pay 100+ for a plain billet one. Once I come up with something I will let you know. Shoot me an email if your interested in seeing what I am thinking.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20090320 001sm.jpg
Views:	517
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	20998   Click image for larger version

Name:	20090320 002sm.jpg
Views:	493
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	20999   Click image for larger version

Name:	20090320 003sm.jpg
Views:	506
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	21000   Click image for larger version

Name:	20090320 005sm.JPG
Views:	500
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	21001  
Old 03-20-2009, 05:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

marsolek that looks real nice... How did you get the tweeter grill off?

Quick Reply: Six-dollar dash upgrade