Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Six-dollar dash upgrade

Old 03-19-2008, 04:40 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clear Coat

What type of Clear Coat is anyone using? I have been looking at Rustoleum Clear Enamal with Gloss Finish, but didn't know what kind to buy. Any help is appreciated because I'm doing this over the weekend. Don't know if it matters, but I'm using Mopar Touchup in the spraycan.

Thanks
Old 03-19-2008, 06:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by petenice15
I am starting my $6 upgrade tomorrow, but has anyone considered painting the tweeters on the dash as well?? Just a thought...

I did and love it. I don't think it's too much at all. I actually think it ties everything together quite well; a more finished look. It makes the dash not look so cheap, plastic y, and boring (one of my complaints with the JK). You just have to take the time to mask off the center and be very careful and patient to make it look right. Personally I don't like the look of the whole tweeter painted.

And this is all true especially on the silver. All other colors it kind of sticks out a little more. I even did the rear over head speakers to complete the cabin.

Old 03-19-2008, 06:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default So.........

Originally Posted by MannyLedezma
I did and love it. I don't think it's too much at all. I actually think it ties everything together quite well; a more finished look. It makes the dash not look so cheap, plastic y, and boring (one of my complaints with the JK). You just have to take the time to mask off the center and be very careful and patient to make it look right. Personally I don't like the look of the whole tweeter painted.

And this is all true especially on the silver. All other colors it kind of sticks out a little more. I even did the rear over head speakers to complete the cabin.

...that's what the interior of the $53000.00 JK looks like
Old 03-19-2008, 06:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dustoff '68
...that's what the interior of the $53000.00 JK looks like
Yeah man... You got it...
Old 03-28-2008, 06:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MannyLedezma

Thanks for the pics. I think it looks awesome!! I guess I have something to do this weekend...
Old 03-29-2008, 10:52 PM
JK Newbie

Very nice job!
Old 04-05-2008, 06:18 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i'm attempting with Rust olium silver metallic spray paint, about $4.03 after tax to match the jeep here goes nothin,
dogs were curious wtf i was doing lol

2 1/2 light coats

few mor touch ups after finger prints and such, now drying more pics tomorrow when i put them back on

what do you guys think??

Last edited by Yamaha90; 04-06-2008 at 09:06 AM. Reason: adding pictures, sorry for pic quality
Old 04-06-2008, 09:06 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

more pics installed:

it matches bright silver perfectly
seats pushed back and down a bit, to show a/c vents

Last edited by Yamaha90; 04-06-2008 at 02:28 PM.
Old 04-07-2008, 03:03 PM
JK Newbie

In yellow... you can see I also did the bezel around my aftermarket HU.

3 coats primer, 3 coats yellow (didn't match the detonator yellow perfect, but still close), 2 light coats of clear coat and one wet coat of clear coat.
Old 04-09-2008, 01:51 PM
JK Newbie

has anyone tried this with a color other than silver or body color that they could show? i have a jeep green and was trying to think of color that might look good seeing as the green wouldn't contrast enough and silver looks a little too plain. any ideas?

Quick Reply: Six-dollar dash upgrade