Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Six-dollar dash upgrade

Old 01-07-2008, 02:07 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default yellow ac vents

I noticed a few people had mentioned wanting to use yellow. I got tired of waiting around to see it first and just did it. I also did the the soundbar speaker rings. Just taped off the inner speaker grill. Here it is

Old 01-07-2008, 03:21 PM
JK Freak

That looks great! I'm in the process of doing mine right now... just applied the first coat of paint. I'll post pics when its done.
Old 01-07-2008, 03:45 PM
JK Junkie

I really dig the yellow on silver look!!! Awesome!

Originally Posted by easttnruby
I noticed a few people had mentioned wanting to use yellow. I got tired of waiting around to see it first and just did it. I also did the the soundbar speaker rings. Just taped off the inner speaker grill. Here it is

Old 01-07-2008, 05:34 PM
JK Freak

Sound bar speakers are freakin real!

Going to do that right now.
Old 01-07-2008, 09:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Here's my contribution to this thread .

Old 01-08-2008, 04:17 AM
JK Freak

Got my soundbar speakers sprayed perfectly.. but now having trouble getting them back into the bar. :(

Was hoping to have them back in before I came to work this morning but didn't manage. :(
Old 01-08-2008, 07:59 AM
JK Freak

I ran into some issues doing this mod...

- I cleaned the parts with rubbing alcohol, allowed them to dry and then wiped them down with a lint-free cloth. I wore latex gloves to make sure I didn't get any oils or anything from my hands onto the surface once it was prepped.
- I followed directions on the can, ensuring that I shook it for a minute and held the can about 6-8 inches away from the surface and applied lightly and evenly.
- My first coat didn't fully adhere to the surface and, just like putting paint on an oil spot, it didn't apply to certain areas. So, I let it dry then applied 2 more coats. It looked like garbage, so I lightly sanded the paint off, used rubbing alcohol to clean it up and, basically, started the process over again.

Since I started over, its coming out GREAT! I put one new coat on last night and another before I came to work this morning. So, my lesson learned is that I either needed to do a better job cleaning the surface or I needed to lightly sand the surface to allow the paint to stick evenly.

UPDATE: I got home from work and was going to add another coat. I sprayed one but then wanted to bring them out to my garage to finish spraying the rest of them. Well, wouldn't you know I drop the freshly painted one on the floor, which hit my cat on the way down, and screwed up the paint and got cat hair on it. So, I had to start that one all over again! I'm beginning to wonder if I should be doing this mod.

Last edited by bobzinger; 01-08-2008 at 03:06 PM. Reason: Screwed up another piece...
Old 01-09-2008, 09:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 00pumpkin
I did this mod also but with a little change. I decided to do my gauges along with the vents, but I just wanted to do the rings around the gauges and not the whole gauge pod like some did, I thought that too much silver wouldn't look as good. So I taped everything off and took my time with it and it turned out great. Here are some pics. Really looks good with the dark interior:

does anyone have pictures of how to take off this part of the dash?
Old 01-09-2008, 09:51 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Laughingstok
Got my soundbar speakers sprayed perfectly.. but now having trouble getting them back into the bar. :(

Was hoping to have them back in before I came to work this morning but didn't manage. :(
Make sure you get all three screws in the speaker and cover lined up and started evenly before you tighten them down. That should help it set in perfectly
Old 01-10-2008, 05:15 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've often wondered.....if Mopar really made a JK as cool as we can mod them up (this thread for example), what would we do with all our spare time???

Quick Reply: Six-dollar dash upgrade