Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Six-dollar dash upgrade

Old 09-10-2007, 07:35 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by armycop
From someone else:

Supposedly it takes about 5 min. Just pull under steering column trim off. Then unscrew the two bolts. Raise up and pull on the bezel and it pops off. Then 4 screws.
Thanks a bunch. Think I'll try it this weekend.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:19 AM
JK Newbie

Any idea on how to dismount the central console?

Thank you

Franco
Old 09-13-2007, 06:24 PM
JK Newbie

I was thinking of painting my transmission surrond, just around that oval area, but it all seems one piece..if you detach it it would take alot of masking...

think i'll try the dash bezel first...

Old 09-14-2007, 05:17 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree, that's why I only did the bezels, I am not a fan of those dash kits. They are a little too much for my taste. I am still thinking about doing the edge of the gauges, they look good and maybe around the door handles.
Old 09-14-2007, 03:47 PM
JK Newbie

I love it. Im doing that as soon as I get the chance. Thanks for the post
Old 09-17-2007, 04:23 AM
JK Freak

I did the a/c rings this weekend. They kinda look a little patchy in a couple spots. I only put on 3 light coats, though. Maybe I need a fourth? I used Duplicolor Silver Fabric and Vinyl. Could not get to the instrument cluster.

Does anyone know if that Duplicolor chrome paint works really well? I may do another coat of the silver and then paint chrome over top. I don't want to do it if it will not really look like chrome. I mean, there are a lot of vehicles these days that have the chrome a/c rings and they are not actually metal (I don't think) so they must be painted with something from the factory, right?
Old 09-17-2007, 11:06 AM
JK Freak

No experience with the chrome paint huh?
Old 09-17-2007, 11:13 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wolverine_man
No experience with the chrome paint huh?
I would recommend you test spray a piece of throw-away plastic and let it fully dry and cure then beat the hell out of it to test it. That's what I did with the piece that used to go in between the bumper and grille. I sprayed it with the paint and tried to scrape it off. The vinyl coating sticks great!
Old 09-17-2007, 11:22 AM
JK Freak

Thanks. I was actually thinking that would be a good idea I don't have really any spare plastic but I do have on old plastic cell phone holster which should work.

Also wondering if I would have to strip off the silver paint that is already on the A/c rings if I decide to use the chrome? Paint thinner? Duplicolor paint remover?

And just out of curiosity, how many coats are y'all using with the Duplicolor Vinyl paint? Maybe I didn't use enough.
Old 09-18-2007, 04:47 AM
JK Freak

Tested Duplicolor Chrome on spare piece of plastic that was cleaned and roughed up. In addition to not providing the mirror finish on the cap, it wasn't that durable. I could scratch it with my finger by pressing hard.

So, as it stands now, my rings were painted in this order: 5 coats of Duplicolor Vinyl, 3 coats of Duplicolor Chrome, 4 coats of Duplicolor Vinyl. I know, that's a lot of paint (12 coats!). But they look good. Nice bright silver (brighter than the cap on the Vinyl). In the long run, I wish that I would have just bought the Mopar silver rattle can. Would have been about the same price. Plus, I would have had a gloss to the rings, which might be nice. Wonder if they make a nice spray on clear coat?

Quick Reply: Six-dollar dash upgrade