Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Six-dollar dash upgrade

Old 08-25-2007, 04:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MJS_Jeep_888
I tried this - I originally painted my vent rings in Jeep Green, but wasn't too pleased with the contrast between the dark gray and the green... if I had a khaki interior, I would've left it alone like that, but there just wasn't enough contract for my taste. So, I repainted them using a can of "hammered silver" paint, and then hit it up with a couple layers of "triple gloss." It looks really cool like this. I also painted the two side pieces of the passenger dash grab handle, and that looks really sharp...
Thanks for the info, I probably wont try it then. However, i wonder if i could match the lighter of the two greys, i think both may be worth the photoshop. Did you get any pics with it in jeep green?
Old 08-26-2007, 11:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm having some difficulty removing my vents and vent rings, can someone give me a little bit more detail on how it's done?

With everyone that's done it I feel a little slow
Old 08-26-2007, 12:52 PM
JK Newbie

Default Vent Rings

Originally Posted by glick
I'm having some difficulty removing my vents and vent rings, can someone give me a little bit more detail on how it's done?

With everyone that's done it I feel a little slow
Just grab the vent ring portion and twist, about a quarter turn. You shouldnt have to twist very hard. It should pull straight out then. You remove the rings from the vents, by opening the tabs on the sides. You should see them easily enough. Several posters have more detailed info earlier in this thread. Good luck!
Old 08-26-2007, 05:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

thank you, i was trying to remove the vent itself I managed to get it out with your help!!!! however I was too simple to actually look at how the piece came out, so it took me a while to get it back in but I managed!!! so now it's off to buy some paint!

thanks again
Old 08-26-2007, 09:43 PM
JK Freak

Can I take all the paint off the bezel by soaking them in acetone or something? I believe i have way to much paint on it now and the edges look kinda shoddy.
Old 08-27-2007, 03:02 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by jeepnoob
Can I take all the paint off the bezel by soaking them in acetone or something? I believe i have way to much paint on it now and the edges look kinda shoddy.
It would depend on the paint - I don't recommed that approach, though... I think a gentle sanding would be a little cleaner/safer for your plastic.
Old 08-27-2007, 03:30 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by wolfpacker
How bout some pics on the grab handle when you get a chance. Thanks.
Wow - I'm kind of surprised that no one else thought of this... it was a serendipitous discovery on my part, but I'm glad that I did it - gives the handle a very "finished" look, and coordinates really well with the vent rings.

I'll post some pics as soon as I get a chance. If Wednesday comes without pics from me, please PM me a reminder...
Old 08-27-2007, 11:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Will i did this last night, i paited the air vent rings and took apart the cluster and painted just the rings in there too. It was super easy. When i went to put them pack on they were dry to the tough but when i put pressure on it, it left my fingerprints in the paint. So i just pressed them all against my jeans and now they have a nice brushed aluminum look with a lil texture.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:25 AM
JK Freak

Any write up or instructions on removing the dash cluster to paint it?? I just bought some more Duplicolor paint yesterday.
Old 09-10-2007, 07:06 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dizzle_65
Any write up or instructions on removing the dash cluster to paint it?? I just bought some more Duplicolor paint yesterday.
From someone else:

Supposedly it takes about 5 min. Just pull under steering column trim off. Then unscrew the two bolts. Raise up and pull on the bezel and it pops off. Then 4 screws.

Quick Reply: Six-dollar dash upgrade