Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Six-dollar dash upgrade

Old 08-16-2007, 10:17 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MJS_Jeep_888
Ditto - After posting yesterday, I decided to use my Dremel with its polishing head and "sand" the clear coat... that went OK, but then I went really heavy on the clear coat, and as a result I kind of "muted" the color...
Yeah I was kinda annoyed at myself when I looked this morning and the color was still washed out.

Would it be alright just to start re-painting right over the clear coat?
Old 08-16-2007, 11:02 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by DeepSky
Yeah I was kinda annoyed at myself when I looked this morning and the color was still washed out.

Would it be alright just to start re-painting right over the clear coat?
I think you may have some issues with adhesion if you just paint straight over... you'd be better off "roughing" the surface first, with some sandpaper or maybe some steel wool (but be careful not to go too deep and scratch the plastic underneath). After roughing, clean off all the debris and then the paint should stick well...
Old 08-16-2007, 11:26 AM
JK Newbie

I painted the vents last week and I love how they came out.
Now, I'm looking to do the intrument panel.
I saw this asked a couple times, but didn't see a reply; Do the rings on the panel come off? Or do I have to tape around everything?

Thanks!
Old 08-16-2007, 01:56 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Jeep-alicious
I painted the vents last week and I love how they came out.
Now, I'm looking to do the intrument panel.
I saw this asked a couple times, but didn't see a reply; Do the rings on the panel come off? Or do I have to tape around everything?

Thanks!
You don't have to tape around everything (although I'd like to see you do that!). Grab a service manual and take the dash apart...
Old 08-16-2007, 02:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Has anyone figured out how to remove the a/c, vent and heater control knobs? I wanted to paint those silver as well, but can't seem to figure out how to take them off. I tried gently pull them off, but to no avail. Any advice or help would be appreciated!
Old 08-16-2007, 03:02 PM
JK Newbie

Default Climate control knobs

Originally Posted by FzyPchz
Has anyone figured out how to remove the a/c, vent and heater control knobs? I wanted to paint those silver as well, but can't seem to figure out how to take them off. I tried gently pull them off, but to no avail. Any advice or help would be appreciated!
Same problem here. The ones on my old TJ came right off, but these took a good bit of force and still didn't budge.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:15 AM
JK Super Freak

Has anyone thought about painting the 'lid' on the top of the center dash console?
Old 08-17-2007, 08:56 AM
JK Junkie

Has anyone thought about painting the 'lid' on the top of the center dash console?
Yes, I did, but couldn't easily get the lid off (was concerned about breaking some small piece that holds it in place).
Old 08-19-2007, 02:55 PM
JK Super Freak

Finally got around to finishing. I ended up going crazy with it and doing all 4 AC vents, the tweeters, freedom top "thumb screws" and speakers:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-show-tell-33/jk-forum-writeups-mini-mod-weekend-very-picture-intensive-14000/
Old 08-19-2007, 03:26 PM
JK Newbie

Finally got around to finishing. I ended up going crazy with it and doing all 4 AC vents, the tweeters, freedom top "thumb screws" and speakers:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14000
Nice job on all the mods. I stopped myself before I went crazy, but I am sill eyeballing thr bezel around the domelight and the climate control knobs. That is, if I ever figure out how to get them off!

Quick Reply: Six-dollar dash upgrade