Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Security Measure for Soft Top

Old 03-25-2007, 03:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Security Measure for Soft Top

I found a way to lighty secure the 3 windows in the soft top. It will not prevent the true thief who wants the windows, or who wants in, however I think it will deter kids and casual thiefs.
I work in a ghetto, and just don't trust anyone. And we don't have real secure parking. So you have to get some long wire ties and run them through the back of the zipper. You can see it preyty good in the photos.
Enjoy,
John
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	rearwindow.jpg
Views:	2066
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	1072   Click image for larger version

Name:	side.jpg
Views:	1587
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	1073  
Old 03-25-2007, 04:12 PM
JK Freak

If people want something in your jeep with the soft top. They don't unzip the windows. They cut them, it is much faster.
Old 03-25-2007, 04:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah I know, I just thought it would keep the kids out, or the guy who wants tinted windows.
What about wheel locks-? Who's got the best?-
Old 03-25-2007, 04:58 PM
JK Jedi Master

Default Wheel locks.

The Mopar brand wheel locks are made by McGuard. They are Mopar part # 82201650.
Old 03-25-2007, 07:32 PM
JK Super Freak

Nice trick for the windows.
Old 03-25-2007, 07:54 PM
JK Freak

so when you take the top down you gotta cut the zip ties and then put new ones on when you put the top back up?
Old 03-27-2007, 04:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yes, cut the ties. --takes a couple of minutes to install new ones.
Found a good security measure for going to work--I'm going to take the WIFES CAR.
Old 03-27-2007, 04:59 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Heyspike
Found a good security measure for going to work--I'm going to take the WIFES CAR.
That's probably your best bet if you're really concerned. It seems like you have two choices when you're a Jeep owner:

1) Adopt a Zen-like attitude toward your personal possessions, and serenely accept that they may not be there when you return, if leave them unattended.

2) Turn into a hyper-vigilant, paranoid, obsessive-compulsive security nut, and keep a constant watch on your Jeep with gun in hand... this approach doesn't go over too well with local law enforcement and employers...

Realistically, I think that the easy-to-zip-out windows on the soft-top were an attempt by Jeep to lessen the number of tops that get cut through by 8ssh0le thieves... but DrinkingMyMilk is right - they'll go for the path of least resistance, and won't hesitate to ruin your beautiful new soft-top if they see some trinket they want or can pawn off for some meth or crack.

I've seen a number of folks on the forum with this "Zen-like attitude," who live with the rule: Take it with you if you want to keep it. Inconvenient for sure, but that's the reality of our world (and I'm sad about it too). :sad:
Old 03-27-2007, 05:11 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MJS_Jeep_888
[snip]
I've seen a number of folks on the forum with this "Zen-like attitude," who live with the rule: Take it with you if you want to keep it. Inconvenient for sure, but that's the reality of our world (and I'm sad about it too). :sad:

Yup, that'd be me. (although Zen was prolly a homeless dude with nothing to lose anyhow) I dont even lock mine. in hopes they wont cut the windows, but i imagine sooner or later they will. even with the doors unlocked. Theives arent always the brightest bunch.

College students in the parking lot, Tourist parking lot inches away, CrackHo's & Methheads from across the tracks. I almost felt safe parking here...

...until I found out how often the politicians show up. *shudders*

Last edited by HappyCurmudgeon; 03-27-2007 at 05:14 AM.
Old 03-29-2007, 02:35 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The windows are almost $300 in the catalog. I am more worried about them than my $149 Ipod in my glovebox.

Quick Reply: Security Measure for Soft Top