Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Second Row YES Bucket Seats In My JK...

Old 07-03-2009, 01:15 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMO, you'll need some triangulation on the down brackets that attatch to the floor. The contact base isn't wide enough to have support if you have a front end collision. If for some reason the rear bolts push through, the front brackets will fold. Add a little triangulation to those front brackets and it'll be good.
Old 07-05-2009, 06:05 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I recognise those seats

Looks Great!!! Post more pics when your done. Wonder if you could make sone type of cooler/center console for between the rear seats???
Old 07-06-2009, 10:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

That's a great idea! You could probably even make an extension of the center console to go between the seats.
Anyways, looks good and I'm always amazed by the creativity and fabrication skills of everyone on here.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:37 PM
JK Freak

great looking mod! it would be sweet to have a quick(ish) release mechanism on there i spend most of the time with my rear seats folded down. intruiged to see this one finished
Old 07-08-2009, 05:02 AM
JK Junkie

great idea! i love it!

not quite sure about the legality of it due to DOT standards, but who is going know right?
Old 07-08-2009, 06:23 AM
Former Member

Originally Posted by 07JKX
great idea! i love it!

not quite sure about the legality of it due to DOT standards, but who is going know right?
Legality? What's legality?

I'm very happy with the mod. It's great. I'm thinking about all ways to utilize my newfound space and give back seat Charlies even more ways to enjoy my Jeep.

Brent, these may be part of a certain package you shipped me...

As far as front end collision, I'm not sure how it will hold up. I'm pretty confident it will hold. Everything is locked down super tight and the steel required a serious machine to bend it.

I'm not sure what Grade bolts I used. I remember reading that Grade 5 was better for shearing strength (I think that was the word), which was strength against ripping in half. Grade 8 locked in really nice, but were weaker.

I'm going to post finished pictures soon, I promise.
Old 07-08-2009, 09:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nlgrav182
Legality? What's legality?
Not to be the nay sayer, because I like the mod overall, but it isn't YOUR life sitting in those seats, it is the passenger in the back. There is quite a bit of difference between the forces generated in a collision and the forces necessary to rip through that angle iron. You may have needed a significant about of force to bend it, but you also significantly weakened it by drilling out holes for the bolts.

All I am saying, is no one ever expects to be in an accident, but there are safety standards in place for a reason. I mean I don't always wear my seatbelt, but that decision is mine.

Sorry to be a downer.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:45 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I knew this was coming
Old 01-11-2010, 05:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

so what ever happened to the final pictures?
Old 01-11-2010, 10:37 AM
Former Member

I never got to take good pictures with the top off during the summer due to work and school. Next time I get to cleaning it out I'll take some pics and put them here. I'm also going to get the metal Line-X'd along with the tub come springtime.

Quick Reply: Second Row YES Bucket Seats In My JK...