Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Sahara Silver Bumper Trim Removal

Old 11-04-2007, 12:48 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sahara Silver Bumper Trim Removal

I figured I would turn this into a write-up because I know a lot of people aren't clear on how easy these things are to take off of your 2008 Sahara.

------------------------

I just got done taking my front and rear silver bumper pieces off of my Red Rock Sahara.

Front was super simple using a T20 torx bit on my socket wrench.

Take out the top and bottom screws and it comes right off.

For the rear, I debated long and hard on whether or not to take the rear bumper all the way off. Since I am lazy, I opted instead to use the same T20 torx bit and remove the 4 bottom screws.

I then lifted the silver panel up and slowly pulled starting at one end. Putting tension slowly on each screw, they came off quite easily. The silver plastic is not very tough and it tears right through the pre-drilled holes since they are so close to the edge of the silver piece.

The top screws are still in the bumper but you cannot really see them because they are behind the lip.

Since I went slow and careful, I could even put this silver thing back on if I wanted to. The holes are still structurally there but just tore through on the outside edge. I would definitely have to remove the rear bumper to put it back on though.

This is just an option if you don't feel like taking the bumper off. I was by myself and wasn't sure if I would be able to put the bumper back on easily with no help.
Old 11-04-2007, 01:32 PM
JK Newbie

Beefy, are you interested in selling the bumper trim? I've got an 07 and I actually don't mind the looks of the trim.
Old 11-04-2007, 02:47 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How much do you want for the front one? I would be interested as well ...

Sent you a PM.

-Alan

Originally Posted by beefy
I figured I would turn this into a write-up because I know a lot of people aren't clear on how easy these things are to take off of your 2008 Sahara.

------------------------

I just got done taking my front and rear silver bumper pieces off of my Red Rock Sahara.

Front was super simple using a T20 torx bit on my socket wrench.

Take out the top and bottom screws and it comes right off.

For the rear, I debated long and hard on whether or not to take the rear bumper all the way off. Since I am lazy, I opted instead to use the same T20 torx bit and remove the 4 bottom screws.

I then lifted the silver panel up and slowly pulled starting at one end. Putting tension slowly on each screw, they came off quite easily. The silver plastic is not very tough and it tears right through the pre-drilled holes since they are so close to the edge of the silver piece.

The top screws are still in the bumper but you cannot really see them because they are behind the lip.

Since I went slow and careful, I could even put this silver thing back on if I wanted to. The holes are still structurally there but just tore through on the outside edge. I would definitely have to remove the rear bumper to put it back on though.

This is just an option if you don't feel like taking the bumper off. I was by myself and wasn't sure if I would be able to put the bumper back on easily with no help.
Old 11-04-2007, 04:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

I want to buy them too! I have been looking so some of them.
Old 11-04-2007, 04:33 PM
JK Newbie

Wow, a lot of interest in selling these.

Sorry guys but I am not interested in selling them at this time. I have plenty of storage space so I will probably keep them around since I plan on getting steel bumpers when I have some extra cash. I want to keep the silver trim with the factory bumpers in case I sell the whole lot.

I can't imagine that they would cost much from the dealer but you never know. The dealer can get away with charging high prices for a piece of silver plastic and we pay it because we have no other choice.

Good luck.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

How much do these go for from the dealership? Anyone check? I'd possibly sell my front and rear.
Old 11-05-2007, 10:21 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an 08 Sahara, I really like the way the front looks, but Im not into the rear, To me, it seems like it is too long. Debating removing the rear only
Old 11-05-2007, 11:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

I think the silver looks great on the Black and Silver Sahara's and I would paint match them on the other colors.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:19 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by vaughnJK
How much do these go for from the dealership? Anyone check? I'd possibly sell my front and rear.
i asked when mine was in for that brake recall (and some other odds and ends), and they said that right now, the silver pieces are not availble unless you buy the whole bumper as a replacement. However, the new mopar parts list is supose to be coming out in a few weeks for the 08 stuff and they should become availble once that comes out. something to do with not having the part number....
Old 11-09-2007, 11:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by atomicmecha
i asked when mine was in for that brake recall (and some other odds and ends), and they said that right now, the silver pieces are not availble unless you buy the whole bumper as a replacement. However, the new mopar parts list is supose to be coming out in a few weeks for the 08 stuff and they should become availble once that comes out. something to do with not having the part number....
I just got off the phone with 2 different five-star dealers.

One quoted me $169 for the front, and $189 for the rear.

The other dealer quoted me $151 for the front, and $189 for the rear.

And yes, mine will be in the for sale section soon. I Just ordered a bunch of parts for the Jeep, just waiting for delivery and install.

Quick Reply: Sahara Silver Bumper Trim Removal