Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

The Results are In....

Old 04-05-2008, 06:29 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
Impressive results. Thanks for posting. Not everyone has access to a dyno, and it's nice that you shared the results. My only question is this: Why did you opt for the type of air intake that you used? I can promise you that you would have made more power with some sort of cold air package. If someone sold you that as a cold air package, they saw you comin. It may dyno more than stock, but it will never out perform an intake that gets air from completely out of the engine bay. I have wondered why people buy these types of intake packages for some time. Cool air is always best.

is there a true "cold air intake" you would recommend? i was wondering about this type of system. Thanks
Old 04-14-2008, 06:11 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Jesuswon1

is there a true "cold air intake" you would recommend? i was wondering about this type of system. Thanks
Not right now, unless you use a snorkel. From what I've been able to surmise, the Volant probably comes closest.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

This is great info, thanks so much. I'm going to go ahead a replace the stock one. I'll probably do the intake in a few weeks. Just ordered the muffler.
Old 04-18-2008, 11:50 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 1BADJK
Here is the Dyno print out .. The bottom 2 curves are stock and the top 2 are modified.. Hope its clear enough to read..

Edited--- Please keep in mind these numbers are off. Please read my first post in this thread..

I'm a little confused on the graph. How is the torque increasing but the Hp is dropping. This is most evident on the modified curves.
Old 04-20-2008, 06:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm a bit confused. In the original test with the magnaflow exhaust and air intake, did you remove the catalyitic converter and mount just the exhaust ?.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1BADJK
The results are in.. I’ll keep this as short and sweet as I can..
Test and configurations were made to my 2007 Jeep Wrangler 4D Rubicon..
1st. Dyno run
Bone Stock = 180.7hp / 215.8tq

First we installed a Magna Flow True Dual Exhaust system keeping the stock catalytic converts in place..
2nd. Dyno run
Dual Exhaust System = 189.6hp / 222.5tq

Then we removed the dual system and re-installed the 2 into 1 collector and just ran a single back to a Magna Flow 6” x 18” muffler and then straight back..
3rd. Dyno run
Single Exhaust System = 194.3hp / 231.3tq

Obviously the Single System yielded much better results.. That is what stayed on.. And let me tell you the Sound is awesome..

Now the easy stuff AEM Brute Force Intake System.. Very Clean install..
4th. Dyno run
Single Exhaust System with AEM intake = 202.1hp / 234.6tq

Last but not least.. We installed the Jet Performance Stage II chip.. My initial thought process on this one was I wasted my money.. But the Dyno tell the truth..

5th Dyno run
Single Exhaust with AEM intake and Jet Performance Stage II chip

Final Results = 213.9hp / 243.3tq
Overall Gains = 33.2 HP / 27.5 TQ

Maybe to some this was a big waste of time but what the heck free use of a dyno and some spare time and some great Manufacture support.. Take these results as you may..
I will work on getting some pictures up on the exhaust relocation and intake install…I will also work on getting the dyno slips posted up.. Thanks Jay

Edited --- All number were off an estimated 18hp and 15.5tq... After we calibrated the dyno, this is what we discovered.. I have correct my numbers to show the correct gains..

I installed the same setup this weekend. My initial gut feel is lower low end power but higher WOT power. Also, when comparing to stock it seems to RPM lower when moving at highway speed. I guess this will help MPG in the long run.

A few other items to note.

With the muffler under the driver seat the drone noise is very noticeable. Has anyone wrapped their muffler in exhaust wrap to muffle the sound?

Using the stock pipe and hangers, the 6" muffler sometimes hits (and vibrates) against the cross bar supports. Very annoying. I am looking to buy some aftermarket hangers to see if I can drop the pipe and muffler a little more to give it some extra space..
Old 04-22-2008, 05:47 AM
JK Newbie

Default Muffler

I have the same muffler in about the same place. Yes, the drone is noticable and annoying when trying to carry on a conversation around town. My muffler however does not hit the crossmember at all. The mechanic that installed mine did a good job of tucking it between the two body braces, close but not close enough to hit. As a matter of fact the gas tank hangs alot lower than my muffler.

I might try the sound barrier stuff under the carpet and see if that muffles the sound a bit. About six months later I installed a 1" MORE body lift, afterwards it did developed a slight vibration at low RPMs. I found that the e-brake cable (I think) was riding against the exhaust pipe. I just bent the small wire bracket that holds the cable in place enough so that it does not hit anymore. Now it's vibration free. The body lift could be a cheap option you might want to try, afterwards the exhaust my sag enough so that it does'nt hit the body anymore.

Hope this helps
Old 04-22-2008, 06:07 AM
JK Super Freak

That's awesome, finally someone did an actual benchmark with various mods, this should be a sticky for the curious posters about hp gains. And for those like myself who think the various "chips" out there are a waste of 10 hp for $200-300 well I might have been right but someone out there may want that extra 10 hp .

Great Post
Old 04-22-2008, 06:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 08JKWrangler
I installed the same setup this weekend. My initial gut feel is lower low end power but higher WOT power. Also, when comparing to stock it seems to RPM lower when moving at highway speed. I guess this will help MPG in the long run.

A few other items to note.

With the muffler under the driver seat the drone noise is very noticeable. Has anyone wrapped their muffler in exhaust wrap to muffle the sound?

Using the stock pipe and hangers, the 6" muffler sometimes hits (and vibrates) against the cross bar supports. Very annoying. I am looking to buy some aftermarket hangers to see if I can drop the pipe and muffler a little more to give it some extra space..
Update: I installed longer hangers on the midsection and tail pipe and that seemed to solve the cross bar proble.
Old 04-28-2008, 10:57 AM
JK Newbie

Default Torque/HP curve

Originally Posted by LUVNLUC
I'm a little confused on the graph. How is the torque increasing but the Hp is dropping. This is most evident on the modified curves.
I thought HP was (Torque*RPM)/5252 if I apply this calculation to the graph the HP numbers are way off. Someone please tell me me error.

Quick Reply: The Results are In....