Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

The Results are In....

Old 09-28-2007, 06:54 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TEXAS RANGER
Being new to this forum but not new to modding I have some questions. I have several modded vetts, http://forums.corvetteforum.com/member.php?u=225291

Did you use a dyno jet or mustang dyno? It is my experence that you lose around 15 percent on a dyno so if you started with 202 hp and you show 198 RWHP on your first run there was no power lost to the drive train?? This does not make any sense. Your stock run should be in the 160 RWHP range. Mods do work but your numbers just dont add up as I see them and hopefully you can explain to me how this was done.
I am looking to mod my jeep and want Headers, high flow cats and a good exhaust and a good cold air intake and some brand of chip and T stat and would appreciate any recommendations.
Thanks Paul
Hey Paul.. You are correct after doning many runs and re-calibrating the machine our number were off about 20 hp... All the gains are correct just about 20 hp lower than I originally showed.. Got the Banks Power Headers going on next week ... And we will be doing another dyno run before and after..
Old 12-26-2007, 09:07 PM
JK Newbie

Hey which do you all recommend for a CAI, K & N, AFE, Volant, or AEM Brute Force? I am leaning towards K & N but I was just wondering if there are any differences between these? Thanks
Old 12-27-2007, 06:46 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by AZJEEPFAN
...........sorry to disappoint you guys -but I think I would have dropped him.
And the animosity is deserved. Hummer stole the 7-slot grille by winning the lawsuit with GM's political clout.

Most important:
Percentage-wise, how many Hummers ever even see a trail as opposed to being a "status symbol" in some suburbanite's driveway?
I GUARANTEE the percentage of Jeeps used for their intended purpose is higher.
Old 12-30-2007, 04:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sixt7gt350
And the animosity is deserved. Hummer stole the 7-slot grille by winning the lawsuit with GM's political clout.

Most important:
Percentage-wise, how many Hummers ever even see a trail as opposed to being a "status symbol" in some suburbanite's driveway?
I GUARANTEE the percentage of Jeeps used for their intended purpose is higher.
FYI
GM didn't have to "Steal" the 7 slot grill since GM only has the rights to the Hummer Branding. Am General builds the Hummer (except H3) for GM and AM General was once under AMC, as their military division, along with Jeep and they proudly proclaim so. Check out their history page on their web site. Thus AM General has the right to the 7 slot gril and are proud of their ties to Jeep.
The tool in the Hummer obviously didn't know squat about his own vehicles history or the comparitive capabilies of the vehicles off road. He deserves to get dropped! Plus if he was in an H3 his vehicle costed about the same as a Rubicon Unlimited with worse gas mileage.
Old 12-30-2007, 05:40 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ibjeepr
FYI
GM didn't have to "Steal" the 7 slot grill since GM only has the rights to the Hummer Branding. Am General builds the Hummer (except H3) for GM and AM General was once under AMC, as their military division, along with Jeep and they proudly proclaim so. Check out their history page on their web site. Thus AM General has the right to the 7 slot gril and are proud of their ties to Jeep.
The tool in the Hummer obviously didn't know squat about his own vehicles history or the comparitive capabilies of the vehicles off road. He deserves to get dropped! Plus if he was in an H3 his vehicle costed about the same as a Rubicon Unlimited with worse gas mileage.
As long as AMGeneral was sticking to the military and hard-core offroaders, Jeep was happy. Once GM bought the rights to market the Hummer name as driveway jewelry for small-______ posers, Jeep wasn't real pleased about sharing the 7-slot grille in the mass market.

quote:
GM had filed its own lawsuit against Chrysler, charging that the automaker waived any claims it had on the grille by remaining silent in the years since the first Hummer H1 went into production in 1992.

While the H2 does not compete directly with Jeep vehicles, a future H3 model is expected to be priced at around $30,000, posing a direct challenge to Jeep. GM expects eventually to sell 35,000 to 40,000 Hummer H2s a year, compared with Hummer H1 annual sales of around 1,000.
Old 12-30-2007, 06:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ubergeekj
Hey which do you all recommend for a CAI, K & N, AFE, Volant, or AEM Brute Force? I am leaning towards K & N but I was just wondering if there are any differences between these? Thanks
I just installed an AEM a couple of weeks ago. Easy install, and no CAI whistle.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:51 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Impressive results. Thanks for posting. Not everyone has access to a dyno, and it's nice that you shared the results. My only question is this: Why did you opt for the type of air intake that you used? I can promise you that you would have made more power with some sort of cold air package. If someone sold you that as a cold air package, they saw you comin. It may dyno more than stock, but it will never out perform an intake that gets air from completely out of the engine bay. I have wondered why people buy these types of intake packages for some time. Cool air is always best.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

1BadJK
Thatnks for your results. That's a lot of work and time on the dyno. Impressive documentation as well.
I have done some of the same mods and can 2nd your results (without the the dyno).
For those who care to read, the exhaust mods produce the best torque gains, and the Chip (stage 1) produces the best way to deal with that dead-spot in the RPM band between 2900 and 3400.
I too have seen a bump in mpg by approx 2 miles per gallon.
I'm probably going to go with a Volant CAI system in the hopes that they will produce a snorkel for it someday. There's just too much flexi-hose in the River Raider setup for my liking.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:48 PM
JK Super Freak

did someone test the different magnaflow mufflers on here somewhere??
Old 04-04-2008, 09:41 PM
JK Newbie

Very nice...Cant wait to get my muffler going.

Quick Reply: The Results are In....