Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Replaced stock sub with JL Audio and Amp

Old 04-19-2008, 05:40 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bullseye
Can I use the factory grill with the Kicker sub??
Check the holes on the Kicker and see if they match the pictures of the grille in my photos on the first page. My guess would be no.
Old 04-23-2008, 04:22 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kicker CompVR 07CVR82 info...

Alright, so I bought this sub and started looking at my mounting options yesterday... My plan is to keep the factory look, including the plastic cover on the sub (no choice -- I have a dog). Of course this new sub's mounting surface is slightly smaller, so the holes, etc. don't match up. My plan is:

- Remove the old sub and CUT OFF the speaker from it's mounting ring. This will leave just the metal ring, and the factory sub will be trash at this point.

- Slip the new sub in the metal ring and drill holes in the ring to mount the sub with bolts & nuts.

- Cut notches in the sub box's plastic to make room for the nuts on the back of the metal ring.

- The new sub is _just_ a little too wide to pass the factory mounting screws in the original holes, so I'll have to notch the sub for each factory mounting hole.

- I'll also have to remove about 1/4" all around the OEM plastic cover to make it thinner and sit better on the new sub.

That's about it.... Anyone have a better idea? :-)

js.
Old 05-05-2008, 05:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Is it worth upgrading the sub and sound bar speakers without the amp? Whats the verdict guys?
Old 05-10-2008, 10:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

It will definatley make a difference just upgrading the speakers. But to get the best quality sound and the most out of your new speakers you will have to upgrade the amp eventually.
I had a stock 07 JK Wrangler and replaced the front and rear speakers with Boston Acoutics 6-1/2 and it made a huge difference.
Old 05-13-2008, 06:10 AM
JK Jedi

very nice! there must not be much theft in your area? here that exposed amp and sub would be gone in a week or less.
Old 05-13-2008, 06:19 AM
JK Super Freak

I'm not good with radios....but I can build a helluva race engine .

Great writeup, wish I knew how to do the amps stuff, understand the speakers setups easy enough, sorta, just clueless on the amps and setup.
Old 05-13-2008, 02:04 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by bigbluejk
very nice! there must not be much theft in your area? here that exposed amp and sub would be gone in a week or less.

I am in the Air Force so my stuff is pretty safe when I am on base. When I am not, I carry a CHL and a Glock .40 Pistol. I would love to unload some hollow point, given the chance!
Old 05-16-2008, 12:38 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by JulietKilo
I am in the Air Force so my stuff is pretty safe when I am on base. When I am not, I carry a CHL and a Glock .40 Pistol. I would love to unload some hollow point, given the chance!
I carry a g21 and have been robbed many times. they always steal my stuff at night, and never remember to knock on the door and tell me they are taking it. But given the chance to open up one of those thiefs, ill take the opportunity.
Old 05-16-2008, 04:44 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by bigbluejk
I carry a g21 and have been robbed many times. they always steal my stuff at night, and never remember to knock on the door and tell me they are taking it. But given the chance to open up one of those thiefs, ill take the opportunity.
If a door is opened on the Jeep (hard top only, I dont have a softop) the alarm will sound followed by my gun shots.
Old 06-16-2008, 12:22 PM
JK Freak

isn't the stock sub a 10" ?

Quick Reply: Replaced stock sub with JL Audio and Amp