Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Replaced stock sub with JL Audio and Amp

Old 03-27-2008, 06:22 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks! Do you have any insight into the other question, about the soundbar speakers? Thanks!
Old 03-27-2008, 06:48 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Phishjeep
Thanks! Do you have any insight into the other question, about the soundbar speakers? Thanks!
Same for the sound bar speakers. Find a good quality 2 ohm replacement.
Old 04-15-2008, 06:48 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JulietKilo
Sound is great. It pounds for an 8 inch. I plan on replacing all my stock speakers with JL Audio and retain the factory infinity amp. The amp is quite capable of pusing high end speakers. Check out my thread https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-write-ups-39/stock-infinity-amplifier-amp-install-30571/ I have done a LOT of research, most will be pleased with the performance.
Thanks for all your great posts! You say the factory amp is good... does this mean you've found a way around the soundbar filter???

You said changing the OEM sub was worth it, even when keeping the factory amp. Considering I'm not too knowledgeable about speakers and such, do you know if the JL Audio 8W1 (http://www.crutchfieldcanada.com/JL_.../1368w1v24.htm) could be a drop-in replacement using the factory wiring, amp, etc.? Anything I should know about wiring it properly?

Thanks again for your great write-ups!

js.
Old 04-15-2008, 07:05 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Phishjeep
Also, will replacing the sound bar speakers help? The sound bar speakers sound like crap, almost as if they are receiving a fraction of the power of the front. Can I adjust the gain in the stock Amp to help bring out the sound of the sound bar speakers?
I installed Quadratec's Kicker DS650 kit and it improved the sounds some, but not that much. It was cheap enough that it was worth it though -- and it comes with adapter brackets too. :-) I had to trim some plastic to keep the OEM cover. I didn't much like Kicker's futuristic looking cover. :-)

js.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:20 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jsmoriss
Thanks for all your great posts! You say the factory amp is good... does this mean you've found a way around the soundbar filter???

You said changing the OEM sub was worth it, even when keeping the factory amp. Considering I'm not too knowledgeable about speakers and such, do you know if the JL Audio 8W1 (http://www.crutchfieldcanada.com/JL_.../1368w1v24.htm) could be a drop-in replacement using the factory wiring, amp, etc.? Anything I should know about wiring it properly?

Thanks again for your great write-ups!

js.
If you are to retain the stock amp and want to use it to power a subwoofer, you need a dual 2 ohm subwoofer! That one will not work.

For wireing purposes, the black wires are negative and the solid green wires are positive. You need one set to go to one side of the subwoofer and the other set to the opposite side. Remember dual 2 ohm coil will yeild the most power.

You can see here that the green is being soldered to the + wire and the black is negative or -.

As far as the rear speaker being made to have high output as well (removing the filter), I am working on it. I am trying to bypass the fiter so the amp will power the rear channedls at full power. Give some time. I dont want to destroy my amp.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:37 AM
JK Super Freak

Excellent write up!!!!!!

I have an extra amp lying around my garage might do that when i get bored with the stock sound

I bet it sounds awsome
Old 04-15-2008, 10:33 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JulietKilo
If you are to retain the stock amp and want to use it to power a subwoofer, you need a dual 2 ohm subwoofer! That one will not work.

For wireing purposes, the black wires are negative and the solid green wires are positive. You need one set to go to one side of the subwoofer and the other set to the opposite side. Remember dual 2 ohm coil will yeild the most power.
Excellent! Thanks! So then I would be looking for something like this:

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...l+2-ohm&tp=111

Let's say it's 1/4" too deep... What's the best material to build up the mounting surface? Cork? I also have some tar based tape I could use maybe...

As far as the rear speaker being made to have high output as well (removing the filter), I am working on it. I am trying to bypass the fiter so the amp will power the rear channedls at full power. Give some time. I dont want to destroy my amp.

Thanks!
js.
Old 04-15-2008, 02:40 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jsmoriss
Excellent! Thanks! So then I would be looking for something like this:

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...l+2-ohm&tp=111

Let's say it's 1/4" too deep... What's the best material to build up the mounting surface? Cork? I also have some tar based tape I could use maybe...
That will work perfectly. You can use cork, deep thick foam door seal tape or anything to build up the area around the subwoofer mount. As you can see in the pictures of the install its recessed really deep so you could actually build up the area around the mounting surface to an inch and put a 5" deep subwoofer in there if you wanted to get really creative. But 4.25 should work just fine!!! In other words that Kicker will fit in there with just some foam tape like I used in my install. My sub is deeper then that Kicker and it fit with just the tape and sealed tight!
Old 04-18-2008, 09:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Any chance you could explain the difference on what 2/4/8 ohm differences are and how they would be wired? Maybe benefits of these. It seems that your knowledge on stereos is very broad. Thanks in advance. And this is a very nice writeup BTW.
Old 04-19-2008, 01:22 PM
JK Newbie

Can I use the factory grill with the Kicker sub??

Quick Reply: Replaced stock sub with JL Audio and Amp