Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Replaced stock sub with JL Audio and Amp

Old 03-06-2008, 03:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by windnsea78
Man I can swap out gears, install any type of lift, rebuild and engine, BUT that speaker wiring diagram may as well been written in chinese LOL Thats one thing I dont understand!
HAHA I could help you if I still lived in Colorado Springs, HOWEVER I just moved to texas for the airforce!
Old 03-06-2008, 03:15 PM
JK Super Freak

Default Larger Images For A Better Look At The Finished Product

CLICK FOR LARGER IMAGES
Old 03-12-2008, 10:16 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

can you explain your wiring input to the amp for me?
i plan to do the same.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:49 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by hmk21
can you explain your wiring input to the amp for me?
i plan to do the same.
USing the wiring diagram for negative and positive I attached the negative and positive to each channel for the input on the amp. High inputs. I dont recommend this because its alot of power for the input of the amp. I have since disconnected the amp, it overheats and the inputs are just too high. Use a high input converter to RCA. Your amp will never stop shutting off due to the heat it makes. I will be remounting the amp next to the sub to keep the thing cool. You could just leave the lid up to cool the amp in this location but I think I will be looking at different mounting locations.

Last edited by JulietKilo; 03-12-2008 at 11:53 AM.
Old 03-12-2008, 07:41 PM
JK Junkie

This thread is going on my subscribed list.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:33 PM
JK Newbie

this may sound like a dumb question but last summer i got my jeep rained in three times on accident. Not alittle rain like bailing water outrain. have you taken this into consideration? can the sub and amp set up get some water on it?
Old 03-13-2008, 08:54 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Spence D.
this may sound like a dumb question but last summer i got my jeep rained in three times on accident. Not alittle rain like bailing water outrain. have you taken this into consideration? can the sub and amp set up get some water on it?
Mount the amp under the rear seat....I have done this since I had my '93 YJ, '99 TJ and I'll be doin it again. Been rained on a few times....I'm in SoCal so I've never been caught in a rain pour hard or long enough (thank goodness for parking structures) to effect my amps. The rear seat is pretty good cover, if it gets too bad stuff a sweat shirt or jacket in between the floor and seat to protect it until you get cover or the rain stops...
Old 03-25-2008, 07:56 PM
JK Super Freak

Default New Amp Mounting Location

Still running the amp off the infinity amps outputs to hi inputs on the amp, gain turned all the way down and amp wired to 8 ohms now instead of 2. It now pounds just as loud and it doesnt overheat the amp. WOOT. I love the feeling of punch in your chest when bass kicks!

Last edited by JulietKilo; 03-25-2008 at 08:19 PM. Reason: added video
Old 03-27-2008, 05:38 PM
JK Super Freak

OK, let's say I wanted to replace the Subwoofer using the current Infinity Amp. Would I be better off using a DVC 2ohm sub as a replacement? There is a Kicker DVC 2 Ohm sub that is 4.25" deep. If I use a 4Ohm DVC will that hurt the stock amp, or will it just get less power? What if I use a SVC 4 ohm or 2ohm Sub and don't use both stock subwoofer leads?

Also, will replacing the sound bar speakers help? The sound bar speakers sound like crap, almost as if they are receiving a fraction of the power of the front. Can I adjust the gain in the stock Amp to help bring out the sound of the sound bar speakers?

My ideal goal would be to replace the sub and soundbar speakers now, and then in a couple years do a whole setup with Amps and everything.

Thanks to all!
Old 03-27-2008, 05:44 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Phishjeep
OK, let's say I wanted to replace the Subwoofer using the current Infinity Amp. Would I be better off using a DVC 2ohm sub as a replacement? There is a Kicker DVC 2 Ohm sub that is 4.25" deep. If I use a 4Ohm DVC will that hurt the stock amp, or will it just get less power? What if I use a SVC 4 ohm or 2ohm Sub and don't use both stock subwoofer leads?

Also, will replacing the sound bar speakers help? The sound bar speakers sound like crap, almost as if they are receiving a fraction of the power of the front. Can I adjust the gain in the stock Amp to help bring out the sound of the sound bar speakers?

My ideal goal would be to replace the sub and soundbar speakers now, and then in a couple years do a whole setup with Amps and everything.

Thanks to all!
After reading your post I would suggest using a dual 2 ohm voice coil sub and nothing else, then down the road you can give it more power by adding an amp. You are not going to notice much difference in the sound using the small infinity amp for the subwoofer but it will allow you to have good sound and upgrade in the future.

Quick Reply: Replaced stock sub with JL Audio and Amp