Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Replaced stock sub with JL Audio and Amp

Old 03-05-2008, 05:33 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kntr
Now thats a write up.

x2
Old 03-05-2008, 07:08 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your questions are answered in the quote.

Originally Posted by VBS4
I'd be interested in a little more information.

Is the stock sub a dual or single voice coil? DUAL 2ohm look at the diagram for the premium, there are two sets of wires for 1 subwoofer.
Is the W3 you're running a dual voice coil? DUAL 4ohm
Where are you getting the signal for the amp? The infinity amp wires leading to the sub.
I take it you had to run a new line for the amps remote turn on? My amp has a kick start that reads the signal and turns on. No remote needed
Isn't the stock amp powering the sub at 2 ohms? YES
On another thread a guy using the same sub as you said it didn't fit without using cork board to space it out. Any info on this. IT fit without spacing it. To make sure it didnt whistle or leak I used heavy/wide/thick foam seal tape.

Thanks

Sorry for all the questions

Last edited by JulietKilo; 03-05-2008 at 07:10 AM.
Old 03-05-2008, 07:09 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jeepik
would it be adequate to not use the amp?? and power it off the factory amp???
I did this before I started hacking up the factory wiring and the JL sounded good if not better then the stock subwoofer with JUST the infinity amp behind it. I would recommend replacing the sub with a JL Audio W0 series sub if you are not going to add more power!
Old 03-05-2008, 08:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JulietKilo
I did this before I started hacking up the factory wiring and the JL sounded good if not better then the stock subwoofer with JUST the infinity amp behind it. I would recommend replacing the sub with a JL Audio W0 series sub if you are not going to add more power!
When just replacing the sub, did you get anymore boom. Or did you just get a nicer, cleaner, crisper, bass.
Old 03-05-2008, 11:36 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by wranglerV8
What amp did you use? brand and wattage?
E1200 JLAudio monoblock 200 watts RMS @ 2ohms (subwoofer wired to 2ohms)

Originally Posted by kuba
When just replacing the sub, did you get anymore boom. Or did you just get a nicer, cleaner, crisper, bass.
It had better sound quality at lower levels. I didnt have to turn the stereo up to get it to play loud. All the things you said but without having to crank it.
Old 03-05-2008, 12:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JulietKilo
thanks , i'll be looking around for a nice Infiniti Kappa for my needs
Old 03-05-2008, 01:02 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jeepik
thanks not a big fan of JL Audio, i'll be looking around for a nice Infiniti Kappa for my needs
Thats cool, I recommended that you fill the enclosure with the sub your choice. Just as long as its smaller then 4 inches of back mounting depth.

Last edited by JulietKilo; 03-05-2008 at 01:04 PM.
Old 03-05-2008, 06:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Do you have any more pics of how you tapped into the harness for the sub?

So you used speaker level inputs into your amp?

In the other "Infinity Subwoofer Replacement" post you said that a line level converter should be used when tapping into the factory sub wires so you do not harm the factory Infinity amp. Did you use one? If you did, I can't see it in your pics.

Thanks, and good job btw.
Old 03-05-2008, 07:17 PM
JK Super Freak

Answers in "wheat" color.

So you used speaker level inputs into your amp?

Yes

In the other "Infinity Subwoofer Replacement" post you said that a line level converter should be used when tapping into the factory sub wires so you do not harm the factory Infinity amp. Did you use one? If you did, I can't see it in your pics.

I did not use an inverter but I have my gain turned all the way down. My amp will accept upto an 8 volt input. The infinity amp is 2 volts amplified. It is still too much IMHO but for now its run directly to the amp. I like this because the infinity amp has smart technology to control the output of the amps low pass filiters (see my post on the infinity amp) I just have my amp set on full range and the stock system controls the subwoofer. The gain on my JL Audio amp is all the way down and its still too much!

Thanks, and good job btw.

Thanks
Old 03-05-2008, 08:52 PM
JK Newbie

Man I can swap out gears, install any type of lift, rebuild and engine, BUT that speaker wiring diagram may as well been written in chinese LOL Thats one thing I dont understand!

Quick Reply: Replaced stock sub with JL Audio and Amp