Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Removing and Installing PCV Valve

Old 12-10-2012, 09:01 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I changed mine today, just wanted to say thats ti Ronjenx for the original post, and others that have offered up suggestions

My original valve was replaced at 49,000KMs back when my deale was trying to trouble shoot my oil consumption. At the time the replacement of the PCV did not help my consumption, which at the time was 450mL of oil for every 750 Kms traveled.

Later on in oil consumption test they came to the conclusion my rings, pistons, and valve seals needed to be replaced....and they did so, warranty coverage.
Once I had the motot broken in (again) no real signs of consumption.

I'm now at 95,000KM and I do see a little bit of oil use, over 5,000KMs, call it 300 to 500 mL of oil use.

PVC valve changed today, with the help of the zip tie mine came of with just a little tug of the tie...no needle nose required!

Before installing the new one, I applied just a bit of oil on the rubbber seal, keep it lubed...for the next time.

The old one passed the shake test...but as others have said, just change it.

One suggestion I would make....don't wait too long to change this part. I think the OEM install if left too long becomes really hard to remove...just my 2 cents.
Old 12-10-2012, 01:52 PM
JK Super Freak

Hey Ronjenx,

Thanks for the great write up...changed mine today.

Dealer changed it out a while ago at 49,000KM when they were trouble shooting my oil consumption. That didnt fix it, at 68,000KM they replaced all my pistons, new rings, bearings, valve seals, hone job and cleaned the intake. After that a little bit later no oil consumption what so ever!!!

This last oil change cycle I noted a small oil consumption, aprox 0.25 L per 5,000KM. (in contrast prior to my moto work I was using aprox 0.35 L of oil every 750 KM traveled....consistantly)

So, today @ 94,000KM i did followed your write up, no issues, if fact the zip tie is genus, I didn't even need the needle nose.

The new PCV valve I got from my dealer (17.00) before I installed it put a light coat of oil on the rubber seal on the valve....slid right home.

My 2 cents is the original PCV install if left too long will become very hard to remove due to the tight fit, ect...Change it sooner rather then later.

My old one once removed, passed the shake test, it rattled, I changed it....hope this corrects my small oil consumption.

For what it's worth I have always run Mopar Dino 5W20.

Old 12-11-2012, 12:25 AM
JK Newbie

How much does a garage charge to do this? I was getting ready to do this but damn... I have the sort of luck some of you guys have had typically. It's intimidating since this is my dd (and my baby)
Old 12-23-2012, 09:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

So why are people replacing this valve? Is it failing? What are the symptoms of it failing?
Old 12-25-2012, 11:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Xxbodhixx
How much does a garage charge to do this? I was getting ready to do this but damn... I have the sort of luck some of you guys have had typically. It's intimidating since this is my dd (and my baby)
Don't be intimidated by this, it really is an easy job. I was apprehensive up until it came time to pull the old PCV valve out, and I was expecting the worst case scenario, but it just popped right out with very little effort. My old one had been in there for 50,000 miles. I put an appropriate size bolt down through the centre of my old one then clamped vice grips onto the stem of the valve (The bolt stops it from crushing), and used a screw driver through the vice grips to pry it up. Whole job took all of 15 minutes.

Last edited by TheQuiet1; 12-25-2012 at 11:50 AM.
Old 12-25-2012, 11:50 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by TheQuiet1
I put an appropriate size bolt down through the centre of my old one then clamped vise grips onto the stem of the valve (The bolt stops it from crushing), and used a screw driver to pry it up. Whole job took all of 15 minutes.
Great idea!
Old 01-15-2013, 11:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks, mine just started to eat oil. will try this this weekend.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

I changed the valve yesterday. Worried this is not going to help. The old one looked like it was new. Clean, rattled and a little oil on it. This was easy to do, thanks again for the write-up.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:40 PM
JK Jedi

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

great thread, very simple. I got a new pcv to install this weekend. My oil sucker has 53K miles, and the pcv hasn't been changed yet.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great write up! Do NOT wait to 85k like I did today. The rubber on the valve gets rock hard and it would not come out with me standing on top of the engine pulling with a vise grips. Finally had to cut a block of wood to rest on top of the exhaust manifold and use it as a fulcrum for a big screw driver to lever the sucker out! big pucker moment!!

Quick Reply: Removing and Installing PCV Valve