Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Removing and Installing PCV Valve

Old 05-23-2012, 06:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My tools to get valve out after the zip ties broke...nonetheless, really appreciate the write up. Hope to see some improvement with oil consumption...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3489546237.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	320737  
Old 05-24-2012, 07:22 AM
JK Super Freak

So I did mine last night. Did not go smoothly. Here's what happened: tried the zip tie method, went through over a dozen, then resorted to the prying and pulling method. At this point, the very top 1/4in of the tube the pcv sits in got a hairline fracture in it, it was stuck in there that bad. Is this bad, or will it be ok, since the inside is protected by the pcv grommet, and the outside is clamped shut by the hose and clamp combo. Or is this going to cause issues? Like I said, it's an extremely small crack, but I can tell its there... I heard it crack when I was prying.

Fired it up runs and idles smoothly right now, just don't want that crack to become something major. Think it will be fine?

Those of you prying, be careful!
Old 05-24-2012, 09:29 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

It's looking pretty universal that the zip-ties don't work for PVC valve removal.
I don't understand why not, though, as it has worked for me each time I have used them.
Old 05-24-2012, 04:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

I don't know how I have been missing this thread. I guess I will go by the dealorship and buy one. Thanks for the thread!
Old 05-24-2012, 07:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Btw, dealer charge me $23 for replacement valve.
Old 05-25-2012, 05:39 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Rockroaster
So I did mine last night. Did not go smoothly. Here's what happened: tried the zip tie method, went through over a dozen, then resorted to the prying and pulling method. At this point, the very top 1/4in of the tube the pcv sits in got a hairline fracture in it, it was stuck in there that bad. Is this bad, or will it be ok, since the inside is protected by the pcv grommet, and the outside is clamped shut by the hose and clamp combo. Or is this going to cause issues? Like I said, it's an extremely small crack, but I can tell its there... I heard it crack when I was prying.

Fired it up runs and idles smoothly right now, just don't want that crack to become something major. Think it will be fine?

Those of you prying, be careful!
Any thoughts anyone?
Old 05-25-2012, 06:03 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockroaster
Any thoughts anyone?
I called the dealer. The part in question is not listed separately from the valve cover.

You know where a piece of it will end up if it breaks off.

So... your choices are:

1- Finish breaking it off and see if the rest of it looks secure
2- Install a little screen in the line to the intake
3- Install a catch can in the line, which may be a good thing to have, anyway
4- Get a new or used valve cover, assuming the part is in fact not available separately.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What about the other line on the other valve cover that goes in the intake tube. Is there no valve there to meter airflow?
Old 05-31-2012, 04:18 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ronjenx
It's looking pretty universal that the zip-ties don't work for PVC valve removal.
I don't understand why not, though, as it has worked for me each time I have used them.
I didn't work for me either. It just kept slipping off no matter how tight I got it. I just made sure when I grabbed the top of the pcv I pulled straight up and did not wiggle it at all to crack the cover.
Old 05-31-2012, 06:02 AM
JK Super Freak

Well the crack in mine from prying is leaking some oil. I put a different clamp on it now to try and stop it, but if that doesn't work, then looks like I'll need to replace the cover.

Quick Reply: Removing and Installing PCV Valve