Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Removing and Installing PCV Valve

Old 02-04-2012, 09:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So installed mine today, brute strength n zip ties and no luck. Mangled the hell out of it. This is just a pic i downladed, where the arrow is , there is a small hole. I made the whole bigger and jammed needle nose pliers in it. Cranked it with leverage and popped right off. New one from oreillys popped right in. Seems smoother on the idle. Old one was rattling but looked gummed up.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120204_120804.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	273806  
Old 02-07-2012, 08:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Installed mine last week and made a huge difference. Before the install I was getting a rough idle and may to much oil consumption.. Now zero
Old 02-08-2012, 09:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Maybe I missed it, at how many km would you do your first inspection/replacement ..? I'm thinking 20k....
Old 02-24-2012, 05:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok so I just did this PCV replacement hoping it will resolve my oil consumption issue. It did not go as smooth as the write up. The zip tie kept slipping off. Ended up using a vise grip on the top and using the pry method. The valve I removed was totally different than the one I put in. Putting the new one in took a lot more force tan I expected but once it started popped in place really nice.

There was oil dripping from the tube into the manifold and after when I took the throttle body off there was oil pooled in there as well. I cleaned the throttle body and soaked up the oil with a rag.

Once I put it all back together. It started very smooth and idled nicely. I am hopeful for good results

Thanks for the great write up
Old 02-24-2012, 05:20 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by CATCHONE
Ok so I just did this PCV replacement hoping it will resolve my oil consumption issue. It did not go as smooth as the write up. The zip tie kept slipping off. Ended up using a vise grip on the top and using the pry method. The valve I removed was totally different than the one I put in. Putting the new one in took a lot more force tan I expected but once it started popped in place really nice.

There was oil dripping from the tube into the manifold and after when I took the throttle body off there was oil pooled in there as well. I cleaned the throttle body and soaked up the oil with a rag.

Once I put it all back together. It started very smooth and idled nicely. I am hopeful for good results

Thanks for the great write up
What brand and part number is the new one.

Lots of people have been having the zip tie break, or keep slipping off.
I did one and had to use pliers to squeeze the zip tie where is goes around the neck of the valve, while pulling up on the zip tie as in the first post.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjenx
What brand and part number is the new one.

Lots of people have been having the zip tie break, or keep slipping off.
I did one and had to use pliers to squeeze the zip tie where is goes around the neck of the valve, while pulling up on the zip tie as in the first post.
I bought mine at the dealership part#4648973AD

I went through 4 zip ties before resorting to the vise grip option
Old 02-25-2012, 04:02 AM
JK Freak

Thanks for all the tips n info. This will all come in handy one day
Old 05-16-2012, 09:48 AM
JK Super Freak

Going to buy one today and give it a try for my oil consumption!
Old 05-22-2012, 08:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GreenJK07
I think I have to replace my pcv valve. I've got 54k on my 07 and every once in a while, as I am stopped at a red light. My idle drops suddenly and I can feel a minor shake as if the motor is going to kill and then it goes back to a smooth idle. Is this a common symptom of a bad or worn pcv valve?
Mine for the shakes at low idle as well, usually with a cold engine. I replaced the spark plugs this weekend. One on the drivers side was loose and the gap was filled with carbon junk. The new plugs seemed to have fixed the low idle issue. I haven't replaced my PCV valve yet, but will after reading this thread. Engine does consume oil...
Old 05-23-2012, 09:39 AM
JK Super Freak

Replaced mine and changed the oil. The other one looked fine, but we will see if it does anything to help the oil consumption.

Quick Reply: Removing and Installing PCV Valve