Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Removable face JVC Double DIN monitor

Old 02-15-2009, 12:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removable face JVC Double DIN monitor

Well I finally bought a new radio. I did a lot of research, and decided on the JVC KW-AVX810. I bought the JVC because it is the only Double DIN that has a removable face, which was my main concern. It also met my other needs, like backup camera capability, external monitor hookups, and iPod interface. Also I got it really cheap from SonicElecronix(dot)com, because it was refurbished. I also go the PAC harness, Boyo backup camera, iPod interface, and the mounting kit from them too. The only thing that wasn't included in the mounting kit was the antenna adapter, but they called me and asked me if I needed it, so A+ for the customer service at Sonic. All told I paid just over $600 for the whole thing delivered. I ran into a couple problems that I'll cover later. Well here goes the install pictures. I'll start with the final product so you don't lose intrest. Here it is, looks good huh?

Here's what I started with. The factory single disk, with Infinty speakers and amp.

First I soldered the radio harness to the PAC harness as per the PAC directions.

Remove the upper dash panel. Pull up on the back and rotate it forward.

Then removed the lower dash panel. Pull out on the top and then rotate down.

Remove the two bolts at the top and the two at the bottom of the center panel. Start at the top, and pull the panel out enough to get to the back of the HVAC control panel.

Disconnect the power window switch (if equipped) and remove the four screws from the back of the HVAC panel.

Disconnect the connectors from the two power outlets and the switch panel. and remove the whole panel to give you some workign room.

The you can remove the radio by removing the four corner bolts that holds it in. Other people on this forum, have had to remove the upper brace from the radio opening. As did I. Others have used Sawzalls and hacksaws. I found a really small hacksaw at the hardware store, and it worked great.

I removed the glovebox, and noticed a small, flat spot on the firewall, and mounted the iPod interface using the included doublesided tape.

Here's where I ran into my first problem. The mess of wires I had to fit into the opening. I tried to jam them in over and over, but couldn't get them to sit far enough back to allow the radio to mount properly. I ended up, pushing the PAC controller and the RCAs to the right, the antenna cables and just about everything else in and down. Between the AC duct and the lower radio brace. This allowed only inches of harness to come forward, so I had to put the radio in as far as I could then reach behind it and connect everything. I also had to remove the clamp from the compass cable that mounted to the upper panel, because it stuck down too far.

My second problem... After I got the radio installed I gave it a test run. It worked perfect. So I put the center panel back on and tried it again. When I tried to open the face, it moved about a half and inch and got stuck. Looking at the directions, it said I needed 4mm of clearance from the top edge to allow opening of the face. So I removed the center panel and did a little trimming. I cut the lips off the upper and lower radio opening.

Works better, but I still need a little more work. Anyways it opens and closes, so I'll get to when the weather gets better. I also ran the rear camera cable while I had the radio out this last time. I bought a 3 meter (16foot) video cable from the stereo store, and hoped it would be long enough for my Unlimited. I ran it along the right side, along the rear brake wiring at the tailgate, and out the grommet to teh spare tire mount. Where I mounted the camera in the center cap for sapre tire. (I got the idea from someone else on here) Thanks by the way!
Well it looks great and I love it. Here is the finished product.

Here is the face being removed and after it stops beeping and retracts.

Old 02-15-2009, 01:03 PM
JK Newbie

thx for the great write up. seems like a good unit.

about time they came out with a removeable face full double din screen.

what options does that unit have for navigation?
Old 02-15-2009, 01:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

It has video and audio for navigation hookup, you can only have one external video source hooked up (other than a backup camera, that's on different RCA cable). I'm sure there is something that can be done if you need to hook up a Nav and additional sourses, but I have a portable navigation, so I didn't really check into it. If anyone knows, please let us know.

Last edited by Clownhunter69; 02-15-2009 at 01:19 PM. Reason: added photo
Old 02-16-2009, 08:34 AM
biv
JK Newbie

What about Sirius? And bluetooth?
Old 02-16-2009, 09:57 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hello google my old friend,
you've got the answers in the end:

Don't limit yourself to a single-sized receiver when you've got a double-sized dash opening in your car. JVC's KW-AVX810 DVD receiver will look right at home in your dash, with a 7" video touchscreen that makes it easy to access receiver functions on the fly. A handy proximity sensor illuminates the receiver's buttons when your hand approaches the screen.

Enjoy videos and movies on the KW-AVX810's bright screen when you're parked. The built-in amplifier brings out the best in your your tunes when you're driving, and you can compensate for your car's acoustics with the 7-band iEQ equalizer. The wireless remote lets your passengers adjust your system without disturbing your driving.

Playback options
The KW-AVX810 plays standard and recordable CDs and DVDs, including MP3, WMA, WAV, and AAC files you've burned to DVD, so you can cruise for days with the music on one disc. If you prefer, you can load up an SD™ card or a thumb drive with files to play back through the receiver's SD card slot or USB input.

Expansion options
Control your iPod® on the big screen with an optional adapter, or add the programming variety of satellite radio to the mix. JVC's optional Bluetooth® adapter gives you the convenience of hands-free calling as you listen to your caller over your car's speakers.

With an optional second monitor, your backseat passengers can watch a video in the back while you enjoy peace and quiet up front. Three sets of high-powered preamp outputs let you add amps and subs to get extra kick and clarity from your music or soundtracks.
Details:

General features:
* in-dash DVD receiver with built-in amp (20 watts RMS CEA-2006/50 peak x 4 channels)
* 7" screen with touchpanel controls
* fits double-sized dash openings
* wireless remote
Audio/visual features:
* 7-band iEQ equalizer
* plays MP3/WMA/WAV/AAC on CD/DVD, USB thumb drive or SD card
* DVD +/-R/RW, DivX, JPEG, MPEG playback
Expandability:
* compatible with iPod adapter, Bluetooth adapter, satellite radio, HD Radio tuner
* inputs: USB port, SD slot, one A/V input, rearview camera input
* outputs: one composite video output, 6-channel preamp outputs (front, rear, sub), optical digital output
Other information:
* compatible with most factory steering wheel audio controls (adapter required)
* CEA-2006 compliant amplifier
* warranty: 1 year
Old 02-16-2009, 12:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by biv
What about Sirius? And bluetooth?
Yep, you just have to buy the interfaces for them.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

looks good, what dash cover is that?
Old 02-16-2009, 09:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

That is the Bestop "brushed aluminum" dash cover. It fits on really well, and looks good, but it is a slightly different color silver than the Sahara vents.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

How do you like the replacement shift knobs? Do you still think they were worth the $ ?

Any more pics of the shifters

Nice job on the stereo. Has me thinking. Was going to put in my elcipse non video but just may go this route.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sandtoy
How do you like the replacement shift knobs? Do you still think they were worth the $ ?

Any more pics of the shifters

Nice job on the stereo. Has me thinking. Was going to put in my elcipse non video but just may go this route.
I really do like the shifter knobs. I know they are a bunch of money, but I have always put a custom knob on my old Jeeps and Hot Rods. This set happens to match the outside paint pretty well, and has the shift patterns etched in them (just incase my wife decided to learn how to drive a manual) They get SUPER COLD!!! You can see in some of the pictures I took a camera lens case and put it over the tranny shifter. It is in the single digits here in the winter, and it makes me more cold touching that freezing shifter, than to scrape all the ice off the Jeep. I'll see if I can find a picture of the knobs and post it for you. They fit my hand pretty well, but I really didn't dis-like the factory ones either. Oh yea, and you asked if I thought they are worth the money...I guess it depends. I like my Jeeps to look good as well as be fun to drive. But they are not needed, they don't give you any more torque or horsepower, they won't help you slide over a rock ledge or get you unstuck from a massive mud hole, so I'm sure there are those out there who'll tell me I'm just waisting money. But hell, I think they are cool, and Uncle Sam pays me pretty well, so I'll thow some money back into the economy for him.

Last edited by Clownhunter69; 02-18-2009 at 08:12 PM. Reason: photos added

Quick Reply: Removable face JVC Double DIN monitor