Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Reds fender trim with detailed pics and video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-27-2011, 06:01 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!

I haven't been on in a while, it doesn't send me notifications when people post.

Thanks for all the props guys and AWESOME work on all the chops!!!!

Any more questions that weren't answered just let me know and I will try to keep checking this again!

Red
Old 09-28-2011, 11:56 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you keep the inner liner or ditch it? This is my next mod
Old 09-28-2011, 11:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I kept the inner liner in the front I'll ditched it in the rear once I cut those.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:30 AM
JK Freak

Any one have a good write up on how to trim the front liners? I have seen this question asked many times but have yet to see a good response. Looking at the OP's pictures I cant quite figure out what and how he's trimming it.

On another not I used an air saw, it's basically a pneumatic jig saw, cutting the fenders was stupid easy. I also tried a sawzall but it vibrated the fender way to much for me to be precise. I think a jig saw is the best way to cut the fenders and then a sawzall to cut the substructure.

Also can any one post a link to which light they used, in WOL write up I didn't see where he got the amber light from.
Old 10-09-2011, 05:28 PM
JK Newbie

The first time i saw this thread i said to myself: "Self, anyone that trims the perfectly good factory fenders to save money, increase clearance AND drastically improve the apperance of thier JK is an IDIOT!"

Always eager to be an idiot, i decided to get on the band wagon!!

I didnt exactly follow the guide to a tee, based solely on aesthetics, but i did a couple things that might answer a question or two that other people had.

First off, I personally think its a bad idea to remove the rear inner liner on MY jk. I live in MIchigan and the winters are hard enough on vechicles without providing direct access to the innermost crevices on it. In order to keep it intact and save time, I trimmed the rear inner wheel well with the rivets still connecting it to the outer fender. I did this simply with an utility knife. It cuts quite easily if you take your time. I used the tire to brace my hand against as i carefully cut the line. I followed the the inside of the tabs where the liner is "Christmas tree'd" to the body, then played connect the dots inbetween. I think it looks great, and keeps me from having to repace the passenger side, rear "Christmas Tree" that attaches my extended diff breather tube to the chassis!

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03602.jpg
Views:	459
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	221332

Name:	DSC03603.jpg
Views:	440
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	221333

Secondly, i'm not sure the final direction im going to take to permanetly replace my side marker. So, in an effort to be safe AND legal i zip tied the original one up inside the fender. This was accomplished by drilling a hole horizontally above the forward most "Christmas tree" on each side. I drilled through two layers of the fender support. It also provides a great spot to anchor the bottom of the light around a tab on the liner.

Name:	DSC03595.jpg
Views:	482
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	221331

Lastly, since i didnt follow Red's design exactly. I ran into an issue with the door edging puckering up on a tight corner, and i didnt care for the looks of it. As it would certainly be a depository for any junk i drive through. Growing up "upper middle white trash", i used my redneck ingenuity to fix it. I used a toothpick to CAREFULLY apply some gorilla glue into the part that stuck out. I then tightened a 4 inch cresant wrench on it and left it over night. it worked perfectly!

Name:	DSC03599.jpg
Views:	539
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	221340

The finished product, along with some mud, courtesy of Drummond Island, MI!

!Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03582.jpg
Views:	647
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	221339

When i first joined this forum, i saw a picture of "reds fenders" on Jeep and immediatly decided that i wanted those fenders! I went so far as to do a Google search on them when i couldnt find them on vendor sites...

I can't thank Red enough for this fanstatic write-up! I wouldnt have had the balls to do it without him!
Old 10-09-2011, 06:21 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gonzobongo
!Attachment 221339

When i first joined this forum, i saw a picture of "reds fenders" on Jeep and immediatly decided that i wanted those fenders! I went so far as to do a Google search on them when i couldnt find them on vendor sites...

I can't thank Red enough for this fanstatic write-up! I wouldnt have had the balls to do it without him!
Awesome Bro!!!! I appreciate the props!

I hope they work out great for ya! Share the knowledge with your other Jeeping buddies!

Red
Old 10-19-2011, 07:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Anyone try any of the IPS Weld-on plastic glues for the trim. Works on ABS plastics...which I'm assuming the fenders are.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

damn it, why did i find this thread now!?!?!?! my green sahara fenders are all scratched up, so i just installed bushwacker fender flares. i totally could have done this and they would have been painted already!!
nice write up!
Old 10-21-2011, 02:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

anyone wanna buy some beat up jeep green fenders????
Old 10-21-2011, 02:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by angercrown
anyone wanna buy some beat up jeep green fenders????
How beat up we talking?

Quick Reply: Reds fender trim with detailed pics and video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!