Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Rear headrest removal

Old 06-27-2008, 05:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thank you BodyGuy

This was a lot easier than I thought it was going to be. Took an hour total for both seats. That's because I was checking out how everything worked.

Anyways, here is a picture of the smaller seat in case someone is still wondering how to do it.

The highlighted red wire and bracket is what you end up taking off.

On a side note... I was quite disappointed when I saw the larger seat was not painted black like the one shown in the photo. It already had rust on it and I'm not even at 5,000 miles yet Anyone know if this should be covered by the warranty? Personally, I think that is shit, unless they had a good reason not to paint it, which I wouldn't see why. Rant over:

CLICK TO ENLARGE
Old 07-30-2008, 02:06 PM
JK Freak

Talking nice solution

as soon as i leave work today i will take the two bungies i have in the back and do the exact same thing. by the way because of those stupid head rests i already replaced a hood on an old toyota that i backed into. i then promptly installed a backup camera. this will be preventative step #2. on a side not those stock tire racks do not hold up is you backup into someone. mine cracked. i got a new one on ebay for 10.00
Old 03-15-2009, 05:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rubi-WAC
This was a lot easier than I thought it was going to be. Took an hour total for both seats. That's because I was checking out how everything worked.

Anyways, here is a picture of the smaller seat in case someone is still wondering how to do it.

The highlighted red wire and bracket is what you end up taking off.

On a side note... I was quite disappointed when I saw the larger seat was not painted black like the one shown in the photo. It already had rust on it and I'm not even at 5,000 miles yet Anyone know if this should be covered by the warranty? Personally, I think that is shit, unless they had a good reason not to paint it, which I wouldn't see why. Rant over:

CLICK TO ENLARGE
Mine was rusted out to , I think my seat has only seen a hard rain once ,
shame on the shortcut ,
Did you paint yours,
Old 03-22-2009, 11:50 AM
JK Newbie

Cool

Originally Posted by freeswimmingfish
So, with the headrests just folded down, will they move up/forward during braking or fly up and possibly injure a rear seat passenger while wheelin or even on a bumpy road or going over RR tracks?
I am asking are they held in the folded down position in any way or do they freely move?
These thing are very hard and could knock someone out if they got hit in the back of the head with them.

Your paranoind Jeeper,
Joe

If you have rear seat passengers who are tall enough to touch the headrests then you stand the headrests back up, if you really are paranoid.

I just popped the springs, took about 3 minutes because I have a broken thumb. I can see out better when the rear seat is empty and when I have passengers I can put the whiplash protection back in place. Perfect solution, actually enhanced safety.

Old 05-02-2009, 05:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thank You Wish I would of thought of that.

Originally Posted by chicky_regal
Here's what I came up with. No cutting. Loop the bungee to the hook at the seatback (part of the tether system for car seats). If you want the headrest up, just pull it up. Back down? Pull the seat like you're folding it and push the headrest back down. The bungee does the work.

down

one up

bungee
Old 06-12-2009, 08:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Great info.........I'm taking these things off tomorrow!
Old 07-20-2009, 06:35 AM
JK Newbie

Default Great fix... Much better. Rear headrests are gone.

Thanks for the HOT tip. So much better without the rear headrests. Easy fix. About 20-30 minutes total. Love JK Forum.
Old 07-20-2009, 06:37 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the rest removal details. Printed em out and yanked those off this weekend. Great post!
Old 11-22-2009, 11:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

thanks to you guys for the write ups, i had to install a second carseat for a recent offroad trip with 2 little ones in the back. couldn't get the car seat to fit very well directly behind drivers seat due to headrest and carseat placement/design. had to put 1 behind passenger and one in the middle, little tight for the 2 kids but this quick mod with the straps on the headrest will fix that for next time
Old 12-06-2009, 01:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chicky_regal
Here's what I came up with. No cutting. Loop the bungee to the hook at the seatback (part of the tether system for car seats). If you want the headrest up, just pull it up. Back down? Pull the seat like you're folding it and push the headrest back down. The bungee does the work.

down

one up

bungee
And for those of you with kids' seats you'll know those headrests are nothing but a pain. But, use the bungees for the headrests and attach them to the tie-down loop below the child tether anchors - that way you still have the anchors for the forward-facing child seat's tether strap.

Quick Reply: Rear headrest removal