Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Rear headrest removal

Old 04-13-2008, 11:21 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Removed rear headrest.... Much improved visability! And a cleaner look with the top off.

...only complaint... getting the seat covers back down correctly is a pain.

Total Mod Time: 30mins.
Old 04-13-2008, 12:48 PM
JK Freak

you should leave the posts there so you can mount some more comforting rocks for headrests
Old 04-24-2008, 10:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default What about 2008 JK 4-door?

I have the 2008 unlimited, and - unlike BodyGuy's JK - there are no latches on the TOP of the rear seats to make them flat. They actually have a piece of fabric loop near the waist line on the seats that you fit your finger through and pull the seats down.

Before I start on this mod, is there anyone that can tell me if the cabling would be different than "BodyGuy"s work shown in his pictures?

Thanks!!
Old 04-29-2008, 08:30 AM
JK Newbie

By disconnecting the spring, they will stay in the "down" position when the seat is up, leaving them leaned back and out of the way. When you have rear passengers, you can lift the headrest back up into their original position, and they will click into position and stay there. When you want them to lay back down, simply drop the seat, and they will release, allowing you to lay them back down.

This way, they lay down out of the way, but you still have them available if you ever have anyone riding in the back seat.
Old 04-29-2008, 12:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cadmanaz
I have the 2008 unlimited, and - unlike BodyGuy's JK - there are no latches on the TOP of the rear seats to make them flat. They actually have a piece of fabric loop near the waist line on the seats that you fit your finger through and pull the seats down.

Before I start on this mod, is there anyone that can tell me if the cabling would be different than "BodyGuy"s work shown in his pictures?

Thanks!!
cadmanaz,

I also have the 08. I removed my headrests last weekend. The difference is when you pull the fabric loop to lower the seat take a look under the headrests. You will see two small slots. Take a small flat screw driver and press on the latch in each slot and lift the head rest off the post - it's that easy. after you complete this step, just follow BodyGuy's work - his directions are flawless and I was able to complete it inside of 30 minutes. It looks great. You won't regret it...
Old 05-23-2008, 07:04 PM
JK Freak

did the full headrest removal today... much better. now i can ride with the bak seats up and actually see to change lanes.
Old 05-23-2008, 07:12 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by chicky_regal
Here's what I came up with. No cutting. Loop the bungee to the hook at the seatback (part of the tether system for car seats). If you want the headrest up, just pull it up. Back down? Pull the seat like you're folding it and push the headrest back down. The bungee does the work.

down

one up

bungee
Thanks for this post!!!! Awesome common sense approach.
Old 05-26-2008, 01:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by freeswimmingfish
So, with the headrests just folded down, will they move up/forward during braking or fly up and possibly injure a rear seat passenger while wheelin or even on a bumpy road or going over RR tracks?
I am asking are they held in the folded down position in any way or do they freely move?
These thing are very hard and could knock someone out if they got hit in the back of the head with them.

Your paranoind Jeeper,
Joe
Be serious Joe.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Unhooked Headrest Springs

Originally Posted by dambob
By disconnecting the spring, they will stay in the "down" position when the seat is up, leaving them leaned back and out of the way. When you have rear passengers, you can lift the headrest back up into their original position, and they will click into position and stay there. When you want them to lay back down, simply drop the seat, and they will release, allowing you to lay them back down.

This way, they lay down out of the way, but you still have them available if you ever have anyone riding in the back seat.

Just did this. One screwdriver and less than two minutes. Headrests stay down (w/o bungees), but can be locked up if rear seat passenger or additional rear cargo space is needed. Very nice, indeed.
Old 06-11-2008, 11:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have to keep my headrest it holds the mirror I keep an eye on my child with. hes still in the carseat that faces back so I need it for now. I guess I will let him take them off if he wants, I mean its his Jeep. JOE>

Quick Reply: Rear headrest removal