Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Rear headrest removal

Old 05-09-2007, 09:27 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too have been looking at removing those friggin post. I was out crawling around in the jeep this evening. Has anyone taken notice to the zippers on either side of of the rear seats, and the j-track? It looks like once you get the head rest off, you could possible slip the cover off the seats, and get to the internals. Just need to figure out out how those seat release latches come off.

I will attempt removing the seat covers this weekend. I will take pics of the process just in case it works.
Old 05-10-2007, 05:23 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Rob Riker
I too have been looking at removing those friggin post. I was out crawling around in the jeep this evening. Has anyone taken notice to the zippers on either side of of the rear seats, and the j-track? It looks like once you get the head rest off, you could possible slip the cover off the seats, and get to the internals. Just need to figure out out how those seat release latches come off.

I will attempt removing the seat covers this weekend. I will take pics of the process just in case it works.
Cool, waiting to see/read what you find out..

I will be more involved with removing mine next week after my RED Jk's photo shoot !!

I have to put the rear headrests back on for that..

Then there coming off for good...

Anybody want to buy a unused set of rear headrests???
Old 05-10-2007, 07:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by captsam54
Anybody want to buy a unused set of rear headrests???

Just use them as tire chucks. They're hard enough and have the right shape...
Old 05-10-2007, 08:24 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by FiveOff
Just use them as tire chucks. They're hard enough and have the right shape...
Ha.. Ha... Hey.. Great.. I hadn't thought of that... !!!

Better than carring a 2x4 around in the back..
Old 10-06-2007, 11:27 PM
JK Newbie

i just fold my seats down in the back 90% of the time. no hacksaws or posts sticking out, just lots of trunk space and viewing area
Old 10-08-2007, 01:10 AM
JK Newbie

I too want them gone for a different reason....I'm 6'4" and I like to recline my seat back but with the rear seat down I can't do that without hitting the back head rest. Next time I need to take my Jeep in for service, I'm going to ask them if there's a way to get the head rest out......I need them gone but without using a hacksaw!!!
Old 10-10-2007, 09:56 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by River Lizard
I too want them gone for a different reason....I'm 6'4" and I like to recline my seat back but with the rear seat down I can't do that without hitting the back head rest. Next time I need to take my Jeep in for service, I'm going to ask them if there's a way to get the head rest out......I need them gone but without using a hacksaw!!!
Let us know what you find out..
Old 10-15-2007, 10:26 AM
JK Newbie

I wouldn't mid taking them out for good as well I will keep checking to see what you guys find out for now I will just keep them springless and laid back!
Old 10-22-2007, 09:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Safety question

So, with the headrests just folded down, will they move up/forward during braking or fly up and possibly injure a rear seat passenger while wheelin or even on a bumpy road or going over RR tracks?
I am asking are they held in the folded down position in any way or do they freely move?
These thing are very hard and could knock someone out if they got hit in the back of the head with them.

Your paranoind Jeeper,
Joe
Old 10-22-2007, 10:01 AM
JK Freak

I wouldn't worry about them.. They don't move unless you actually grab ahold of them.. (now if you toss it out of an airplane and crash land it somewhere.. they might flip up..)

Quick Reply: Rear headrest removal