Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Rancho Oil Pan Skid Installation:

Old 06-12-2008, 06:11 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by yellowjeeper85
My initial thought to this was, well, as long as you don't burn through the pan, then i thought about it more and realized that the issue would be, wherever you welded it would make an in-flexable connection that under a hard hit would like tear the weld off the pan possilbly leaving a hole behind. the silicone or otherwise works well because the more you apply the more surface area you cover both for adhesion but also for impact dispursal. Its kinda like those guys that lay on a bed of nail. If you lay on a bed of well one nail, all the force is focused on that one nail and i will hurt like hell, if you lay on a bed of a million nails, the force will be so greatly spread out, you don't realize you're laying on nails. If you throw a few welds on it, they will take all the force of impact, if you could weld every square inch of the skid to the pan, then you'd be dispersing the impact evenly throughout the pan. lastly, if you use silicone, it will help absorb some impact, or put a cushion between the two while still dispersing the impact. if you're really worried about it falling off on the freeway, i would drill a few holes in the skid, and attach braided steel cable from the holes to a few spot on the jeep, like a leash to hang on to it if it comes loose. You wont lose it and will likely hear it bouncing around so you'll know it needs some attention.
Toyota welded them on their pans for YEARS from the factory and I've never seen damage like you describe yet. I think welding it on the pan is a great idea. If you're worried about burning through the pan, then take it to somebody that knows how to weld.
Old 06-12-2008, 07:19 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dmwil
I just received mine and I'm putting it on next week. I'm going to be very liberal with the silicone.
If you look at page 2 of this thread, you can see where I put some spots of JB Weld on the holes in the side. It's pretty solid.
Old 09-15-2008, 09:29 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just received mine and I'm putting it on next week. I'm going to be very liberal with the silicone.

As for other skids, the $200 difference is too much for me. Besides, I've never hit the oil pan, either, and the transmission is tucked much higher up, and is less vulnerable. I bought this one because the oil pan just appears to be the most vulnerable item, next to the evap canister. I put a $100 skid plate over the evap canister, and was surprised at the thickness and strength. It is reinforced at the front, too, where impacts would most likely begin. It bolted right in using existing bolts and took less than 5 minutes to install.
which evap skid did you install and how is it holding up??
Old 09-15-2008, 10:13 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by texmexjeeper
which evap skid did you install and how is it holding up??
I have the Rockhard evap canister skid. It is simple to put on and strong.

Last edited by armycop; 09-15-2008 at 10:33 AM.
Old 09-15-2008, 11:06 AM
JK Freak

I just installed a full set of Rock Hard it's pricey, but you can drag your jeep over rocks. It covers pretty much everything.
Old 10-06-2008, 11:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

As for other skids, the $200 difference is too much for me. Besides, I've never hit the oil pan, either, and the transmission is tucked much higher up, and is less vulnerable. I bought this one because the oil pan just appears to be the most vulnerable item, next to the evap canister. I put a $100 skid plate over the evap canister, and was surprised at the thickness and strength. It is reinforced at the front, too, where impacts would most likely begin. It bolted right in using existing bolts and took less than 5 minutes to install.
Just wondering how the Rancho skid is holding up. Thinking about getting one. Anybody else got one? Please chime in.
Old 10-12-2008, 05:40 PM
JK Junkie

Just relocate the evap canister and call it a day.
Old 12-18-2008, 06:39 AM
JK Newbie

I really do not see this as a good solution. I would be reluctant to put anu part on that translates load to the engine.......

I would rather see it attach to the frame or crossmember. I do not believe engine blocks are designed to be loaded from the bottom. A hard hit could result in a busted motor mount or worse a cracked block......

Maybe I am wrong, but this looks like a gimmick!
Old 12-18-2008, 07:18 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by WeGo4x4
Anyone have any issues with this yet? Im thinking about getting one.
Mine is still hanging on like when I installed it. I haven’t hit it yet.
Old 12-20-2008, 08:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

If you look at the pic on ranchos site it shows it safty wired.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	oilpan.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	16739  

Quick Reply: Rancho Oil Pan Skid Installation: