Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Rancho Oil Pan Skid Installation:

Old 01-02-2008, 07:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tkob1060
hey armycop can you tell how much clearence it leaves between the pan and the plate? just wondering how far you can dent that in before it hits the oil pan....also do you think those straight edges could dig into the lip of the oil pan if the skid is hit hard enough?
If I'm reading this correctly it is glued directly onto the pan - so there is no clearance. I was planning on getting one of these but now I'm not so sure - seems like a pretty poor design. Thanks for the info and write up!
Old 01-02-2008, 08:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That design is crap.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:07 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cab76
If I'm reading this correctly it is glued directly onto the pan - so there is no clearance. I was planning on getting one of these but now I'm not so sure - seems like a pretty poor design. Thanks for the info and write up!
oh man what a dop I am ....I was thinking as a skid plate it SHOULD have clearance forgetting the crazyglue to the oilpan part I'll blame that one one being sick lol
Old 01-03-2008, 06:17 AM
JK Freak

[QUOTE][only issue is after a hard hit to the pan, it was loose and silicone needed to be re-applied/QUOTE]

What will happen is when you take a big hit it will come loose and you won't know it, prettysoon it will be laying on the highway and you won't have it anymore. That was very common on the TJ's.
Old 01-03-2008, 01:11 PM
JK Super Freak

solution to have it stay on. grind the inside or the skid grind the out side of the oil pan (i believe it is double walled) so that they both have no paint and rough surfaces then us a lot of jb weld or u can get panel cement for autobody work and it will bond the two pieces become one.
Old 01-03-2008, 03:48 PM
JK Jedi

Default More pics...

I am thinking of the JB weld idea in the holes

Old 01-03-2008, 05:12 PM
JK Freak

what if you just actually welded it to the pan?
Old 01-03-2008, 05:28 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by tkob1060
what if you just actually welded it to the pan?
My initial thought to this was, well, as long as you don't burn through the pan, then i thought about it more and realized that the issue would be, wherever you welded it would make an in-flexable connection that under a hard hit would like tear the weld off the pan possilbly leaving a hole behind. the silicone or otherwise works well because the more you apply the more surface area you cover both for adhesion but also for impact dispursal. Its kinda like those guys that lay on a bed of nail. If you lay on a bed of well one nail, all the force is focused on that one nail and i will hurt like hell, if you lay on a bed of a million nails, the force will be so greatly spread out, you don't realize you're laying on nails. If you throw a few welds on it, they will take all the force of impact, if you could weld every square inch of the skid to the pan, then you'd be dispersing the impact evenly throughout the pan. lastly, if you use silicone, it will help absorb some impact, or put a cushion between the two while still dispersing the impact. if you're really worried about it falling off on the freeway, i would drill a few holes in the skid, and attach braided steel cable from the holes to a few spot on the jeep, like a leash to hang on to it if it comes loose. You wont lose it and will likely hear it bouncing around so you'll know it needs some attention.
Old 01-03-2008, 06:00 PM
JK Jedi

Default Slight modification...

For a little more strength, I applied a dab of JB Weld on the spots highlighted in the pic. I put two spots on each side, I am thinking it will give a bit more support, but still break away without damaging the oil pan on a hard hit. The 1/4" layer of silicone on the bottom is a tiny bit of cushion.

Old 01-03-2008, 06:08 PM
JK Junkie

Thats what I was kinda thinking, the silicone would be kinda a shock to help absorb the hit.

Quick Reply: Rancho Oil Pan Skid Installation: