Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

putting the soft top down...

Old 10-30-2007, 10:33 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah, when i put it in the sunrider position, i leave the velrco on... but i fold it the opposite way that it falls naturally. no excess material and no flapping at all. i just need to find a spot to tuck those seatbelt looking straps.

and that is a good idea about keeping the velcro straps when putting the top back up. ill have to try it.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:09 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Originally Posted by mt3
try pushing the fold in the opposite direction ... instead of making a > shape toward the spare, lift up the soft top and push the fold so it makes a < from the spare ....

try that! ....
See, I used to think I was a fairly intelligent guy. That is, until I tried to put my soft top down on my jeep and, even with the help of people that have done it successfully, I remain retarded.

mt3, if I reverse the fold of the piece that is sticking out, the fold then hits the bottom of the roll bar and the rails end up at a 30 degree angle . I'll take a pic of what I'm dealing with so I have proof of my incompetence. I am certain that the pics in this thread show a fold that does not protrude as far as mine.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:05 PM
JK Newbie

DoyleIII, I had that problem. I had to study the pictures in the manual and compare that with what I was doing. I think I've finally got the Sunrider part down. Following mt3's procedures worked for me. Now, the manual says to make a "W", and at first I thought I had made a proper "W", but later realized the "W" I had wasn't the "W" the manual was recommending.

I then folded it opposite of where it wanted to go, as mt3 has described, making the "W" as indicated in the manual. What worked for me was looking at where the angles in the manual's photo were, making sure my angles seemed to be in the similar spots as the photo. Now when I put it in Sunrider mode, it almost falls into that position by itself.

I have a follow-up question...

...this is regarding putting the top down from Sunrider position to "all the way down". For optimal results (optimal being "most compact" when down), should you go straight from the Sunrider mode to all the way down without re-adjusting the folds, or should the folds be adjusted again?

I'm thinking you should go straight from Sunrider to all the way down, but wanted to double-check with the experts.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:23 AM
mt3
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by newbie_5

...this is regarding putting the top down from Sunrider position to "all the way down". For optimal results (optimal being "most compact" when down), should you go straight from the Sunrider mode to all the way down without re-adjusting the folds, or should the folds be adjusted again?

I'm thinking you should go straight from Sunrider to all the way down, but wanted to double-check with the experts.
i don't re-adjust before going all the way down .... from the sunrider

mikeyfl, the piece of fabric that sticks out that i think you are referring to ... you should be able to push toward the middle of the jeepy to flod it away ...
Old 11-27-2007, 10:01 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by DoyleIII
See, I used to think I was a fairly intelligent guy. That is, until I tried to put my soft top down on my jeep and, even with the help of people that have done it successfully, I remain retarded.

mt3, if I reverse the fold of the piece that is sticking out, the fold then hits the bottom of the roll bar and the rails end up at a 30 degree angle . I'll take a pic of what I'm dealing with so I have proof of my incompetence. I am certain that the pics in this thread show a fold that does not protrude as far as mine.
where in tampa are you? we could meet up, cause i have this down to an art form... i can actually get the folds nicer than the pics that i have posted in the original post!
Old 11-28-2007, 05:28 AM
JK Newbie

I leave near Westchase/Citrus Park but work around the International mall. I occassionally make it over to Brandon (wife's family in Valrico.)

Just let me know if you ever get out this way - I'd like to see you work your magic.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:40 AM
JK Jedi

Try this thread for more help on the soft-top.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/tried-lower-sunrider-soft-top-but-couldnt-2829/

Specifically posts #10 and #19.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:19 AM
JK Junkie

my soft top simply folds back... then set down on my unlimited... i do not unvelcro anything... it lays neatly... i think a lot of folks are making this much more difficult than it really is.

it takes me less than 5 minutes to take it down or put it back up by myself.

Quick Reply: putting the soft top down...