Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

PSC hydro assist kit install

Old 07-04-2008, 10:45 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PSC hydro assist kit install

Here's an install of PSC's new hydro steering assist kit. Very easy install, no welding, no cutting, straight bolt on! The tool needed would be a pitman arm puller. The steering gear box is a straight up swap, install the ram and bracket, and cut the hoses to length. Then fill with regular atf +4.

Old 07-04-2008, 11:08 AM
JK Super Freak

Looks Very Sweet!!
Old 07-04-2008, 05:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's it for?
Old 07-04-2008, 09:11 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

Sorry, when wheeling with anything over a 35" tire, the ram provides more power than the factory gear box can to steer the wheels. Basically, when your wheels are bound up and you are wrenching on the steering wheel trying to turn. With the ram assist, you can turn the wheel with one finger.
Old 07-04-2008, 09:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Wouldn't having a hard time turning indicate your wheels are bound up on an obstacle (such as wedged between two or more rocks)? If so, wouldn't it be wiser to back up a tad and then pick a better line insted of forcing the wheels to turn (where they may not want to turn) and maybe break something?

I have seen these before and haven't really been able to put a finger on why someone would want one of these on a JK. What kind of situations would one use this in that would be beneficial? To me, this is kind of like someone offering a thin, hollow axle shaft with the benefit of saving you weight.

Please change my mind because those are pretty darn cool looking!

Last edited by User 12721; 07-04-2008 at 09:53 PM. Reason: more to say
Old 07-05-2008, 08:39 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Well, I guess if you dont wheel your Jeep that hard, you wouldn't need it. Not a matter of being bound up, but sometimes you just need the extra power. Adam

Last edited by Screamin Lizard Customs; 07-05-2008 at 08:42 AM.
Old 07-05-2008, 08:46 AM
JK Junkie

[

Nice setup....Does that kit also replace the stock steering stabilizer? Thanks...
Old 07-05-2008, 08:57 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by ColinW
Wouldn't having a hard time turning indicate your wheels are bound up on an obstacle (such as wedged between two or more rocks)? If so, wouldn't it be wiser to back up a tad and then pick a better line insted of forcing the wheels to turn (where they may not want to turn) and maybe break something?

I have seen these before and haven't really been able to put a finger on why someone would want one of these on a JK. What kind of situations would one use this in that would be beneficial? To me, this is kind of like someone offering a thin, hollow axle shaft with the benefit of saving you weight.

Please change my mind because those are pretty darn cool looking!
The stock power steering gear is pretty weak. Mine overheats when wheeling and I lose the power assist until it cools off. I would love to have hydraulic assist for mine, but can't really justify the $1,000 or so to do it right now. It is VERY beneficial when rock crawling. It woun't be needed for light wheeling.
Old 07-05-2008, 02:33 PM
JK Newbie

Default PSC Ram

I just had this mod done to my JK and it's awesome. I can know turn the wheels easily while negotiating obstacles even with the front end locked. Much nicer to drive on the street as well. If you can do without your Jeep for a while you can send PSC your stock steering box which they will mod to work with the ram and send it back to you, it will save you over $300 bucks (it's what I did). By the way it eliminates the need for the steering stabilizer so it goes in the trash can.
Old 12-05-2008, 12:58 AM
JK Freak

Can you please post some pics of your setup. Is your JK auto or stick? I have posted several posts for power steering upgrade but for some reason no one replys.

Originally Posted by 2Stroke
I just had this mod done to my JK and it's awesome. I can know turn the wheels easily while negotiating obstacles even with the front end locked. Much nicer to drive on the street as well. If you can do without your Jeep for a while you can send PSC your stock steering box which they will mod to work with the ram and send it back to you, it will save you over $300 bucks (it's what I did). By the way it eliminates the need for the steering stabilizer so it goes in the trash can.

Quick Reply: PSC hydro assist kit install