Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

planman's 2dr Rubi JK gets RIPP'd

Old 01-24-2013, 03:54 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Body Lift Advantages

A friend of mine with a Rubicon said that because of his BL, he was able to easily rotate his Elec Swaybar Disco upwards without some special aftermarket kit (I think he mentioned using a slightly longer bolt to reach an un-used bolt hole somewhere on his frame - not entirely sure as I've slept a few times since then).

Your listing contains some advantages I've not previously considered. I do have a question with respect to the bumpstops - aren't they typically utilized to prevent the shocks from bottoming out (over compressing)? I guess if they weren't the restricting factor during upward flex, the next "chokepoint" would be tire to body/fender contact?

Originally Posted by planman
Right.

A 1" body lift is not very noticeable. However, it allows you more suspension up-travel because you don't need to extend your bumpstops as much.

You can run 11" travel shocks with 1.25" front extended bumpstops and 37" tires with flat flares. With fender well trimming and the 1" body lift, you can run rear 12" travel shocks with about 1" extended bumpstops and 37s with flat flares.

Plus, it is easier to clean your undercarriage.

Plus, it is easier to install a supercharger ;-)

With a 1" body lift and flat flares, you can run 35s with either rear fender well trimming or 1" rear extended bumpstops.

I wouldn't do the 1" body lift just for more tire clearance "look." It is a practical matter for me to use all my shock travel and run 40s on as short as a 3" suspension lift.

They aren't for everyone, but they do have practical use.

Last edited by JK-Rubi; 01-24-2013 at 07:51 PM. Reason: Lurid grammer
Old 01-24-2013, 03:57 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JK-Rubi
A friend of mine with a Rubicon said that because of his BL, he was able to easily rotate his Elec Swaybar Disco upwards without some special aftermarket kit (I think he mentioned using a slightly longer bolt to reach an un-used bolt hole somewhere on his frame - not entirely sure as I've sleep a few times since then).
No knock to the body lift but you don't need it to rotate the rubicon swaybar motor.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:32 PM
Forum Tech Advisor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

True. You don't need a body lift to flip the Rubi disconnect.

Regarding bumpstops, they should be set at the longer of:

what is needed to stop the shocks from bottoming out,
what is needed to stop the tire from damaging the fender or the pinch seam in the rear from damaging the tire,
what is needed to keep the springs from over-compressing,
what is needed to keep the drag link from coming into contact with the frame when you have a drag link flip,

It takes a relatively long travel shock before you need to extend the bumpstops very much.

For example, the OME long travel JK shocks have 11.5" travel and are 16" collapsed in the front--which only requires 1.25" front extended bumpstops.

The rear OME LT shocks are also 11.5" travel and are 16.5" collapsed--which only requires about 1" to 1.25" rear extended bumpstops.

If you run OME LT shocks and extend the bumpstops more than 1.25" front and rear, you do not get the benefit of the full 11.5" stroke of the shocks.

With flat flares and some aggressive rear fender well trimming, you can run 35s with 1.25" extended bumpstops and get the full 11.5" shock stroke. With a 1" body lift, you can do the same thing with 37s.

You can do all this without the body lift and with longer extended bumpstops if you relocate the lower shock mounts up higher--like with the EVO rear RockStar skids.

Last edited by planman; 01-24-2013 at 04:35 PM.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:42 PM
JK Junkie

Is there something like the EVO Rockstar rear skid/ shock mounts, but for the front shocks?
Old 01-25-2013, 04:06 AM
Forum Tech Advisor

Originally Posted by Delux2769
Is there something like the EVO Rockstar rear skid/ shock mounts, but for the front shocks?
Yes. I don't recall which manufacturers have bolt on brackets.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:18 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How fast have you gotten her up to w the sc
Old 01-25-2013, 05:42 AM
Forum Tech Advisor

With a 6 speed, 5.38 gears, and 40s, I'm fairly used to driving around town in the 2-4k rpm range. At 60 mph, my engine turns about 2300 rpm.

After driving this a few days, I am very happy with the RIPP on my 6 speed. My typical driving habits are a good match.

At least according to the DIC, my in town mpg has gone from 12 to 14--except for when I mash it.

A left hand turn out into heavy traffic is no problem--although I tend to spin on of the rear tires at the same rpm and accelerator position that I'm used to.

Downshifting to a gear that puts the engine about 3500 rpm to accelerate or pass a car gives a very noticeable and fun amount of power.

Cruising around with the engine at about 2000 rpm with the cruise control on, and it holds speed on the hills.

I trailered my rig down to Winter in the Rocks. So the fastest I've driven it so far is just over 60 mph on the edge of Hurricane, Utah.

I'm wheeling with TnT Customs and KrawlzoneTV today. Will report back.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:44 AM
JK Super Freak

Awesome write up as always. I must say you are a very lucky man to have a wife whose only complaint about purchasing a supercharger is that you get one for her!! Well played man!!
Old 01-31-2013, 04:40 PM
Forum Tech Advisor

Thanks. The testing went very well. I'll post some pics and video tonight.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:10 PM
Forum Tech Advisor

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-8lEQUGilM&feature=youtu.be