Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

MyGig Security Blank Panel

Old 10-02-2009, 07:19 PM
JK Freak

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default MyGig Security Blank Panel

I have been concerned leaving my soft top JK with MyGig completely exposed when I park in the city. I used to throw a jacket or something over it, so instead I created a simple, free cover to hide the screen. I took a sheet of ABS plastic which is similar to automotive interior plastic and cut to the size of the radio and the border around it. I then hot glued small pieces of ABS to each end of the cover to raise it up allowing room for the MyGig buttons. I then cut a hole for the volume knob. The knob holds the left side on and I added a small piece of velcro to the top right corner.

The result: A blank panel that makes it look like there is no radio (or at least doesn't make it obvious that there is a nav unit there.

Here are the pics:

http://img40.imageshack.us/i/img0896tr.jpg/
http://img24.imageshack.us/i/img0897m.jpg/
http://img204.imageshack.us/i/img0898k.jpg/
http://img10.imageshack.us/i/img0899s.jpg/

Last edited by phljeeper; 10-03-2009 at 03:54 AM.
Old 10-03-2009, 03:55 AM
JK Freak

Thanks for hosting pictures for me.
Old 10-03-2009, 08:31 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

simple and easy.. very cool
Old 10-03-2009, 06:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

I work at or thermoforming company as an engineer and I have a prototype mold of this exact thing sitting under my desk! It's been there all summer because we've too darn busy for me to go form some parts. After seeing this I am inspired... if it works, maybe you'll see something for sale!
Old 10-03-2009, 07:48 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've never heard of anyone stealing a MyGig. The only thing I'm concerned about with mine is moisture.
Old 10-03-2009, 08:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Very ingenious... However, for a locked solution (and one that will help with water splashes or rain) go with the Tuffy security thing... I have it and it will definitely give you some extra protection...
Old 10-05-2009, 07:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default MyGig Cover

Ok, I went out to the shop and pulled some parts today... this is the closest match we had in our scrap bin... It's a little bit tight, but it fit really well and hides the radio very well. This design will also protect the face from water and rocks and tree limbs and what not. If I get a chance to print a new mold, I want to get tire tread across it, and try to get a darker color to match the bezel.

Last edited by cgrace12; 10-05-2009 at 07:46 PM.
Old 10-05-2009, 07:50 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by cgrace12
Ok, I went out to the shop and pulled some parts today... this is the closest match we had in our scrap bin... It's a little bit tight, but it fit really well and hides the radio very well. This design will also protect the face from water and rocks and tree limbs and what not. If I get a chance to print a new mold, I want to get tire tread across it, and try to get a darker color to match the bezel.

Very nice, I am looking forward to see a more professional version than mine. I have been using the cover and am much less concerned parking on the street in Philly.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:03 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Atl JK
The only thing I'm concerned about with mine is moisture.
Mine hasn't been rained on, but it's been out in the open all night a bunch of times, where in the morning there was quite a bit of moisture on all surfaces. So far no problems.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:58 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

good idea!!!!

Quick Reply: MyGig Security Blank Panel