Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

My turn at using Raptor liner...

Old 04-11-2011, 04:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, Yeah time consuming but worth it.

Carpet out 30 mins
Remove sound material 90 mins
Seats, moldings out 3 hours
splice wires 3 hours
Sanding cleaning 90 minutes
Taping off 2 1/2 hours
Painting 30 minutes per coat with 60 minute flash time 3 hours
3 Hour dry time
Seats and molding back in 2 hours

I ball park it at about 20 hours total I spent working on this.

I carefully put the seats back in last night using cardboard to avoid
scraping the material back off.

Have not figured out how to tuck the wiring up the door pillar.
There is a lot of plastic spines in there - not as much room as it looks
like there is. So they are just on the floor for now.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:07 AM
JK Super Freak

What kind of air compressor is required for this? I just got rid of my big one because I never used it. Now I've just got a small one.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:47 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Phishjeep
What kind of air compressor is required for this? I just got rid of my big one because I never used it. Now I've just got a small one.
Mine I think is a 10 gallon and it kept up no problem
Old 04-11-2011, 12:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Two questions, could I run the sprayer with my 2 gallon compressor tank? And I am looking to really spread the prep part out, so could I drive with all but the driver's seat out for up to a week?
Old 04-11-2011, 12:32 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by JDScott10
Two questions, could I run the sprayer with my 2 gallon compressor tank? And I am looking to really spread the prep part out, so could I drive with all but the driver's seat out for up to a week?
Sounds like a good way to burn up a compressor. One guy in this thread got it done with at 10 gal compressor. I would have thought that was too small. I'm going to shoot mine with no less than a 25 gallon. A local distributor for U-Pol recommended 60 gallon, but I think he was interested in selling me the compressor too, so that number may be a bit inflated.

If you try it with the 2 gallon and it works, be sure to post up.
Old 04-11-2011, 02:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

yeah, thanks for the info. It's my OBA system I want to use. No use buying the stuff if it won't work. Maybe i'll just pull carpet and use rubber mats
Old 04-12-2011, 04:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HDGreyrider

Have not figured out how to tuck the wiring up the door pillar.
There is a lot of plastic spines in there - not as much room as it looks
like there is. So they are just on the floor for now.
I dont remember exactly how I did mine, I know I did it a little different on each side, but I do remember it was a pain in the but to get it all back together. I wish I would of taken a picture before I put the pillar covers back on.

Great job it looks really good!
Old 04-12-2011, 06:05 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by HDGreyrider
Spent Saturday splicing 5' of 18 gauge into the wiring and the rear wiper fluid hose. Then took out all the front seats.
Looks awesome, great job. Im going to use it above my rock sliders and under my wheel wells.
Old 04-12-2011, 06:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

My compressor is a 10 gallon. Worked fine - you're really only spraying for about 10minutes per bottle.

I've used rattle can on smaller items (side mirrors, etc.) , but the raptor spray came out really nice. I only used 3 bottles, so I'm sure I'll find something else to spray next.

Drove the Jeep to work this morning in a heavy rain, put the front panels on and folded down the rear seats - wrapped them in plastic with couple bungees. I have the wet okole's seat covers but it's raining heavy and steady all day here in Md.

It was fun driving with it open like that though. My wife thinks I'm nuts.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:40 PM
JK Junkie

I decided to email U-Pol and get some more details regarding the application of this stuff. One reason is because I am interested in getting a very fine texture, similar to the texture of the plastic components on the Jeep. I am considering lining my painted fender flares in color-match Raptor Liner along with my tub, and I don't want a course finish, particularly on the flares.

I do know that the texture is dependent upon the pressure. However, I don't know what size tank they recommend or what flow rate. I have received one reply from them, but they unfortunately it left out the tank size. I will post up their recommendations once they are all received. Thus far though I know the following:
  • Recommended pressure range- 40-70 psi.
  • Lower pressures (40 psi) would be yield a courser texture, while higher pressures (70 psi) would yield a finer texture.
  • Distance and speed across the work surface will effect texture also.
  • Shooting above 70 psi will result in the product bouncing off the surface. This means wasted material.
  • Flow rate - The Shutz gun will consume 5.5 cfm @ 85 psi, less at a lower pressure.
Happy Raptoring y'all!

Quick Reply: My turn at using Raptor liner...