Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

My turn at using Raptor liner...

Old 03-16-2011, 06:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HDGreyrider
Spent 3 1/2 hours today with an air chisel taking out the crap on the floor boards and using a wire brush on a drill. Still not down to bare metal.
Once I got the bulk of it off I found that if I got it wet and let it soak in a little and then hit it with a wire brush on my drill it seemed to come off better (maybe??) I know I spent ALOT of time getting all mine up, but the end result is worth it! Try not to have too much fun!!
Old 03-22-2011, 10:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks! I forgot the part where you mentioned wetting it down to get the last of it off the metal. 2 hours on Sunday did the job for the front and the cargo. I still have to do the back seat floor though.

Moving the wiring may be the next step... not sure yet.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:39 AM
JK Newbie

Default Do it, Do it, Do it

DOING THIS! We cant all have 37's with 6" lifts, but this I can do!!!!!
Old 03-22-2011, 02:15 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by HDGreyrider
Moving the wiring may be the next step... not sure yet.
I FINALLY got around to moving my wiring off the floor this past weekend. All it takes is splicing in 4' of 18ga. wire into each of the wires on both sides (13 wires passenger, 7 wires driver on my unlimited X with soft top).

MUCH cleaner...

-WRM
Old 03-22-2011, 03:36 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just ordered my kit. Any idea how this stuff would stick to some of the plastis parts like along the door sills? I was thinking of spraying these as well. Any thoughts?
Old 03-22-2011, 03:58 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Biggy
Just ordered my kit. Any idea how this stuff would stick to some of the plastis parts like along the door sills? I was thinking of spraying these as well. Any thoughts?
It sticks to plastic REALLY well; make sure to mask off (or remove) your center console....

-WRM
Old 03-22-2011, 04:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Spring JKS

Hey dude...bunch of us from this area are going wheeling on Sat the 26th near Splendora. Look up the thread for the lone star state and join us. 9 AM 242 at 59 flying J. PM me if you need further info!
Originally Posted by jeeptimmy
DOING THIS! We cant all have 37's with 6" lifts, but this I can do!!!!!
Old 03-23-2011, 05:35 AM
JK Newbie

So I finally got the nerve to do this to the Jeep, stripped her down, chiseled off the goop (well most of it, from what I think I've been reading on here as long as it's relatively smooth when I spray the bedliner you won't be able to see the goop glue)

Primered her 2 days ago, took a day off of work to spray her with the bedliner but when I opened the container I notice that the bedliner they sent me was the "tintable" type that you have to add color to. I tried calling tcp global for 6 solid hours, finally I got an email from them. Needless to say I'm not very happy with their company and just wanted to let everyone know. They sent out a new batch of black bedliner but I don't think that was enough, it's gonna be another week before I can put the Jeep back together now while I wait on shipping since they wouldn't overnight the bedliner.

Anyways...I'm getting a little scared about the whole process now, I really hope I didn't screw this Jeep up
Old 03-23-2011, 05:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Trust me, you didn't screw it up. This has been one of the best mods I have done. SOOOO easy to spray in. It was hot here in Texas when I did mine, so I was able to put the seat back in after about 2 hours and drive it home from a friends house. I only used 3 of the bottles, and wish I had used the fourth as an extra layer, but I am VERY happy with it. You should be okay for a week, just make sure its clean before you start to spray. You will love it.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:03 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by mvnolan
Trust me, you didn't screw it up. This has been one of the best mods I have done. SOOOO easy to spray in. It was hot here in Texas when I did mine, so I was able to put the seat back in after about 2 hours and drive it home from a friends house. I only used 3 of the bottles, and wish I had used the fourth as an extra layer, but I am VERY happy with it. You should be okay for a week, just make sure its clean before you start to spray. You will love it.
I'm mostly worried about the sound deadener, I scraped the crap out of that stuff, but I didn't have an air compressor sander or an angle grinder so I chiseled it with a flat tip screw driver til it was relatively flat and then hit it with sandpaper, it's (relatively) smooth but you can still see where it is in the tub after the primer has been put down. I'm just hoping that it turns out nice, if not the wife is gonna murder me

Quick Reply: My turn at using Raptor liner...