Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

My turn at using Raptor liner...

Old 10-14-2010, 10:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WRMorrison
Yeah, I know what you mean. I'll be ordering another full kit myself to do all the other stuff like: inside of my half doors, front bumper, sliders, wheel wells, etc., etc... It's addicting!

-WRM
Let me know when you do, I'd like to join ya. However, this time I'll take the day off so we can have some daylight. I'd like to do the inner part of my doors, more of my door sills, and maybe a can or two on the floor.

Note: When WRM and I did my Jeep I was just getting off work, so we had to prep and paint by the light of my dome lights, a small flash light and the PIAA flood light on my AEV rear mast. Got the job done, but more difficult to see what you're doing. If I had a darker colored Jeep we'd-a-been screwed.

This afternoon:
I ran my backup camera inside with the passenger side harness up behind the dash to my LockPick.
Finally finished up my Microphone Setup (link - w/ pics in it - to come)
AND SECURED MY FLOOR MATS!! They aren't going anywhere now.

I also took a pic of the rear carpet deck on since folks were asking. The pic was taken at night with the flash, so it really doesn't show up as much as it shows. Eventually I'll get the tuffy cover (and raptor line it), but thats down the road.

I used my trusty AEV touch-up paint to coat the metal and painted the screws and washers so they aren't as noticeable.

Front:

Rear: (same location on both sides)

I put Blue Locktite (all I had) on the screws so they stay put.

I got the Nutserts from Copper State Bolt and Nut in Phoenix. It was a kit of 10 with a temporary tool that works really well ($25 with 10 screws & 10 washers) I only used 4, but you have to buy the kit to get the tool included.

Install was very easy and straight forward. Find where you want to put it. Lay some tape down, drill pilot hole first, then drill the larger hole. Spray some paint down to cover up the exposed metal. Install the nutsert.

The carpeted rear deck:
Old 10-14-2010, 10:39 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks good Tony. But by bolting in the floor mats and using blue locktite it does not sound like you are planning to get too much dirt or leaves in the jeep.

Btw I missed you at Audi today. Had to get my rear brakes done (that was not cheap).
Old 10-14-2010, 11:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by remark
Looks good Tony. But by bolting in the floor mats and using blue locktite it does not sound like you are planning to get too much dirt or leaves in the jeep.

Btw I missed you at Audi today. Had to get my rear brakes done (that was not cheap).
I keep a few tools in the back to take care of that.

Sorry I missed ya. The Jeep took priority today, so I didn't go in on my off day.

Oh and - German cars and cheap, do not go together.
Old 10-15-2010, 04:05 AM
JK Newbie

Nice work Tony! I need to get around and put the nutserts in too. I've got a few extras from the kit; just need to find the time to do it. Whenever I get ready to order the kit (if you haven't already ordered one in the meantime), I'll get in touch with you and we can split it.

-WRM
Old 10-23-2010, 03:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hey im still prepping mine right now and was wondering if you guys removed the rubber cement looking stuff that lines the edges of the tub?

Last edited by jonnyringo893; 10-23-2010 at 03:11 PM.
Old 10-23-2010, 03:48 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jonnyringo893
hey im still prepping mine right now and was wondering if you guys removed the rubber cement looking stuff that lines the edges of the tub?
I removed mine, but have been told since that it's a wise idea to either leave that stuff on, or remove it and then re-seal those areas (using less silicone to make it look nicer). Supposedly, it's there to protect the seam, which isn't otherwise protected against corrosion.

I removed all of that stuff completely, but plan to re-seal it all with black silicone.

-WRM
Old 10-24-2010, 05:11 PM
JK Newbie

Is there a creative way of hiding the wires that were under the carpet once you finished lining the tub. I was thinking about some kind of sleeve to put over the exposed wires. Any ideas?
Old 10-24-2010, 05:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TroutBumJK
Is there a creative way of hiding the wires that were under the carpet once you finished lining the tub. I was thinking about some kind of sleeve to put over the exposed wires. Any ideas?
Yup, you can use conduit to protect them. I am going to go a step further and solder enough extensions on them to run the wires up along the roll cage. They will still go under the front door jam where I'll protect them with conduit, but then I'll route up through the B pillar and along the cage on the way to the back.

The plan is to do it Wed/Thursday this week. If the weather and my work schedule cooperates.
Old 10-24-2010, 06:08 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TonyT
Yup, you can use conduit to protect them. I am going to go a step further and solder enough extensions on them to run the wires up along the roll cage. They will still go under the front door jam where I'll protect them with conduit, but then I'll route up through the B pillar and along the cage on the way to the back.

The plan is to do it Wed/Thursday this week. If the weather and my work schedule cooperates.
Same plan here as well. I just haven't found any wire yet... Have you picked up any wire yet Tony? If so, what did you go with? I've been looking for some 7 or 8 conductor 14AWG wire with no luck...

-WRM
Old 10-24-2010, 06:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WRMorrison
Same plan here as well. I just haven't found any wire yet... Have you picked up any wire yet Tony? If so, what did you go with? I've been looking for some 7 or 8 conductor 14AWG wire with no luck...

-WRM
I did this same thing with my wiring harnesses already in prepping to do my liner. I used an 18AWG 7 conductor wire and then had to have multiple runs of it for all the wires that are in the Jeep's harness. I work for an electrical distributor so I just got the wire from work. I would imagine if you check with your local electrical supply house you should beable to get some cut without buying an entire role of it. Home Depot or Lowes may have something like this too, but not sure on that

If you have a hardtop you will also have to extend the washer fluid line on the driver side, I got some of that line at a local parts store. It took we a while to complete all of this but very glad I did so the harness is not exposed any more now that its not hidden behind the carpet

Quick Reply: My turn at using Raptor liner...