Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

My turn at using Raptor liner...

Old 10-04-2010, 06:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I REALLY want to find the guy that put that sound deadening stuff in my Jeep, and CHOKE THE LIFE OUT OF THEM!!! I have been working at it for 2 days now, a total of about 6 hrs. My arms hurt, my neck is stiff, and I will be hacking that powdery stuff up for a month even with wearing a mask. Finally getting down to it though. Hopefully finish after work and primer everything. Will spend the rest of the week sanding and prepping, then Friday afternoon she is getting lined. I will post up picks before and after. I did notice when I chiseled on the passenger floor board, the instant I broke through the top layer, water ran out of that stuff. VERY glad I didn't line over it.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:44 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by mvnolan
i really want to find the guy that put that sound deadening stuff in my jeep, and choke the life out of them!!! I have been working at it for 2 days now, a total of about 6 hrs. My arms hurt, my neck is stiff, and i will be hacking that powdery stuff up for a month even with wearing a mask. Finally getting down to it though. Hopefully finish after work and primer everything. Will spend the rest of the week sanding and prepping, then friday afternoon she is getting lined. I will post up picks before and after. I did notice when i chiseled on the passenger floor board, the instant i broke through the top layer, water ran out of that stuff. Very glad i didn't line over it.
air tools!
Old 10-04-2010, 12:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Get an oscillating dremel. Seriously get the whole kit with the scraper. My dad helped me out and with the dremel, it was a breeze! We even used it to sand down the tub.
Old 10-09-2010, 07:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

WRMorrison, very nice job looks great! I cant wait to get mine done. Ill start a new thread when its complete since Im doing the tintable. I seen a thread somewhere with some pics of a green jeep that had done the tinting, but no blue. It may be a few weeks before I can get to this though. Going on a jeep run next weeked, and between Holloween and hunting season picking up it may be a few weeks out yet for me.
Old 10-09-2010, 07:14 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

carpet should be a factory option lol
Old 10-09-2010, 07:15 PM
JK Junkie

Hey I'm in AZ too do you feel extra heat from below when driving after you put the Raptor liner in? I really want to do this but I'm worried the floor will be hot.
Old 10-09-2010, 07:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by speed2005
carpet should be a factory option lol
Seriously, I totally agree. I wondered from day one why they dont just make this a standard factory accessory and make the carpet an option like leather interior. It seems like everyone (at least who offroads) just wants to ditch the carpet anyway and go this route.

hey WRMorrison (or anyone else who has also lined their tub), while I've been prepping off and on Im still trying to figure out what to do with the cargo/trunk lid that also has carpet on it Did you guys just not use that after you lined your tub, or put it in with the carpet still? I would like to line over that also somehow so it all matches but Ive noticed that carpet IS NOT coming off that lid! I wonder how it would look, or if it would even work, if you just sprayed it with the carpet????
Old 10-09-2010, 08:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by matt852
Hey I'm in AZ too do you feel extra heat from below when driving after you put the Raptor liner in? I really want to do this but I'm worried the floor will be hot.
Not too bad. The tub heat's up anyway. The carpet just shields it pretty good. I bought the thick MOPAR floor mats from A irpark for $60 and I dont even feel the heat from the floor.

Where you at in PHX? If youre in my area, I 'd be happy to show ya. Ive got the hard top and doors on this week. Not too bad at all, as long as you have the plugs in the floor. With them out you can feel he heat getting sucked in from underneath the Jeep as you drive.

TonyT
Old 10-09-2010, 08:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mark9998
Seriously, I totally agree. I wondered from day one why they dont just make this a standard factory accessory and make the carpet an option like leather interior. It seems like everyone (at least who offroads) just wants to ditch the carpet anyway and go this route.

hey WRMorrison (or anyone else who has also lined their tub), while I've been prepping off and on Im still trying to figure out what to do with the cargo/trunk lid that also has carpet on it Did you guys just not use that after you lined your tub, or put it in with the carpet still? I would like to line over that also somehow so it all matches but Ive noticed that carpet IS NOT coming off that lid! I wonder how it would look, or if it would even work, if you just sprayed it with the carpet????
In the future I would either like to go to the Tuffy security lid, or have my own made. For now, I'll be using the carpet one.
Old 10-09-2010, 09:10 PM
JK Newbie

Like Tony mentioned, it's slightly hotter, but not uncomfortable...as long as you leave the plugs in. Without them, you'll get a lot of drivetrain heat soaking into the cabin. I too, picked up a set of the heavy Jeep slush mats, and they REALLY help with the negligible heat. Besides that, they're actually pretty comfortable to have under the feet, and save any wear and tear on the liner itself.

I work in a machine shop, so my boots are usually covered in metal chips, and I didn't want to take the chance of grinding those chips into the liner and possibly cutting it (although, it would be hard to do as the liner is so durable, but I don't want to take any chances).

For the rear compartment, I too am still using the factory lid with carpet. It doesn't look as out of place as you might suspect. I read somewhere that someone had thought of lining this piece as well (over the carpeted surface), but I don't know if it was ever done as I've seen no pictures of it.

-WRM

Quick Reply: My turn at using Raptor liner...