Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

My sub-$20 mirror "relocation" solution

Old 05-03-2007, 05:19 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Unlimited1
Here is my version of the do it yourself mirror mount. Please excuse the long bolt, I will be changing it shortly. This is not perfected yet tas I get some vibration, but I am now legal to drive with the doors off. Thanks for the idea because I almost spent the $70.00 on the mopar mount.
Mirror- $7.00 (Autozone)
Bracket- $3.00 ( Home Depot)
Bolt and Rubber- Free
Looks good....I like that style mount better. Think I may have to redo mine. Either way I'm still ahead.

The only problem with that mount style I see is taking it on and off. Is it a pain?
Old 05-03-2007, 06:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome. You guys have some great solutions and have inspired me to build my own this weekend. Not that it took much inspiration as I really don't want to pay >$100 to buy some prefabbed ones.

I'll post some pics when I get mine up (assuming my design comes out different).
Old 05-03-2007, 02:47 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JackMacOKC
Looks good....I like that style mount better. Think I may have to redo mine. Either way I'm still ahead.

The only problem with that mount style I see is taking it on and off. Is it a pain?
Nah, actually it is quite easy. Get the torx head needed for the exterior windshield brace and mount the mirror using the exsisting bolts and I suggest using some kind of gasket (Rubber) to prevent the metal of the brace from desstroying the paint. I have made one change to my design and that was adding an angle brace to the mount to stop the vibration. I will post a photo shortly. Take care.
-Jerry
Old 05-03-2007, 07:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by drinkingmymilk
looks great but why are you on the side walk?
HEH!!! I was thinking the same thing too! Jeeps are so great... they don't need to park on the street with the rest of the sorry bastards!
Old 05-04-2007, 04:50 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nah, actually it is quite easy. Get the torx head needed for the exterior windshield brace and mount the mirror using the exsisting bolts and I suggest using some kind of gasket (Rubber) to prevent the metal of the brace from desstroying the paint. I have made one change to my design and that was adding an angle brace to the mount to stop the vibration. I will post a photo shortly. Take care.
-Jerry
It looks like T30 from the pic -- that right?
Old 05-05-2007, 01:53 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JackMacOKC
It looks like T30 from the pic -- that right?

I believe it is T30, I got these brackets at Home Depot and they are made by Stanley. The brace I have installed is also Stanley but I have the brace bolted in vs welded. I don't have the ability to weld them together.
Old 05-05-2007, 08:18 PM
JK Super Freak

I believe it is T30, I got these brackets at Home Depot and they are made by Stanley. The brace I have installed is also Stanley but I have the brace bolted in vs welded. I don't have the ability to weld them together.
T40 actually the same size needed to take the hardtop bolts out. It takes just a few min to put them on and off. I think that is is just about the same as a door hinge mount. If I had a sof top I may not have done it this way but I will be removing/replacing the top and doors at the same time so while the torx is out It is a simple matter to put the mirrors on or off.
Old 05-14-2007, 04:31 PM
JK Newbie

Default Update

Hey ya'll I had a bit of a problem the other day with my mirror, the silver mirror that I bought decided to fall apart the other day. The glass fell out. However it was easily solved. I bought a different mirror and it turned out for the better. Here are the picks after a little flat black paint.

Old 05-25-2007, 07:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hey ya'll I had a bit of a problem the other day with my mirror, the silver mirror that I bought decided to fall apart the other day. The glass fell out. However it was easily solved. I bought a different mirror and it turned out for the better. Here are the picks after a little flat black paint.

I sent a PM asking where you got your stuff...only later noticing you answered that question already.

Cool beans...
Old 05-25-2007, 07:31 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's mne:

Quick Reply: My sub-$20 mirror "relocation" solution