Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

My sub-$20 mirror "relocation" solution

Old 03-22-2007, 10:10 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rubimon
That's what wayoflife did for his TJ.
Hah... I guess that's where I saw it then. I never claimed I invented the idea
Old 03-22-2007, 10:27 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmccurdy
Hah... I guess that's where I saw it then. I never claimed I invented the idea
I wasn't implying that!

By the way I bet you could bend your support at a right angle and eliminate some of your vibration by getting rid of the bolt system. Look at Wayoflife's. This is what I am doing to mine also.

Good job on the mod though!
Old 04-26-2007, 09:26 AM
JK Super Freak

Now I know exactly what to get before I go to the parts store and look. I wish it was black instead of chrome but not getting a ticket is what is big on my list looks come second.
Old 04-29-2007, 07:39 AM
JK Newbie

wait, seriously, why the sidewalk?
Old 04-29-2007, 12:56 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by The Godfather
wait, seriously, why the sidewalk?
Parking is a bitch in our neighborhood, so if the spots in front of our house are taken, I'll just pull the rig up on the sidewalk or into the garage (if I feel like moving my other car first ).

I just pulled it out onto the sidewalk to take advantage of the sunlight to snap these pics.
Old 04-29-2007, 06:30 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just to add to all the excitement of sub $20 mirrors. Here's my sub $10 solution.
Mirror - Oreily's ($7)
Garage Rack holder thingy - Ace Hardware ($2)
2 bolts (1 3/8x3, 1 3/8x2), 1 3/8 nut, 2 3/8 flat washers - Ace Hardware ($1)

I'm going to fill in the hole there in the middle with caulk and maybe paint it black..but I like it..works well and does the job well enough. I couldn't find that bracket/support tube with the flat ends you guys are using. I looked but came up short. I saw this holder and said, eh..it'll work. Just had to drill out one of the holes and add another hole on the top for the mirror. Oklahoma street legal once again!

Driveway shot just for fun:

Last edited by JackMac4; 04-29-2007 at 06:32 PM.
Old 04-30-2007, 06:27 AM
JK Super Freak

Started out with a plan to weld a bolt into a bent piece of EMT and then use it to mount a mirror to the hinge. When I went to my uncle's to use the welder he happened to take a look at things. We ended up coming up with the idea of putting a bracket on the hinge using existing bolts. We were going to make one but as we were looking for steel or aluminimum we found a pair with pre drilled holes exactly where we needed them. All I have to do is paint (done), mount the mirror (waiting on paint on mirror to set), and install using some rubber between the jeep and the bracket to protect the paint. These do not get in the way of the door except the fact with both mirrors mounted they hit each other opening the door. I have not decided if I am going to just remove the bracket/mirror I use with doors off or do I leave them on and remove the mirror off the door and follow the suggestion elsewhere as to how to cover the holes. Thanks to everyone for all the ideas they helped and especially posting what you did on the site.
Old 04-30-2007, 06:44 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by only_in_my_jeep
Started out with a plan to weld a bolt into a bent piece of EMT and then use it to mount a mirror to the hinge. When I went to my uncle's to use the welder he happened to take a look at things. We ended up coming up with the idea of putting a bracket on the hinge using existing bolts. We were going to make one but as we were looking for steel or aluminimum we found a pair with pre drilled holes exactly where we needed them. All I have to do is paint (done), mount the mirror (waiting on paint on mirror to set), and install using some rubber between the jeep and the bracket to protect the paint. These do not get in the way of the door except the fact with both mirrors mounted they hit each other opening the door. I have not decided if I am going to just remove the bracket/mirror I use with doors off or do I leave them on and remove the mirror off the door and follow the suggestion elsewhere as to how to cover the holes. Thanks to everyone for all the ideas they helped and especially posting what you did on the site.
Post some pictures when you get a chance! Thanks.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:38 AM
JK Super Freak

Here are the pictures. The mount is a trailer fender mount that was lying around. It was picked up a few years back because my uncle and sometimes I are always making or modifying trailers (man it's nice to have access to his shop but I don't over step or do too much just once in a while). I bought two mirrors from Auto Zone for under $18 and then one can flat black spray paint for a little over $1.00. I sanded the galvanized off smooth and painted the braket then the mirrors. There is a piece of rubber between the braket and mount and I used existing bolts. It works although the passenger's side is a little obscured however I can still use it and it keeps me legal no matter what local laws are unless like someone said in Washington state you can't have doors off. I plan on later most likely winter actually sanding them off and priming them then using an aotomotive paint but I wanted the doors off now before it got too hot to enjoy it. 90 degrees out now who knows what summer brings.

Old 05-02-2007, 03:23 PM
JK Newbie

Default Another Version

Here is my version of the do it yourself mirror mount. Please excuse the long bolt, I will be changing it shortly. This is not perfected yet tas I get some vibration, but I am now legal to drive with the doors off. Thanks for the idea because I almost spent the $70.00 on the mopar mount.
Mirror- $7.00 (Autozone)
Bracket- $3.00 ( Home Depot)
Bolt and Rubber- Free
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0001.jpg
Views:	643
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	1469   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0003.jpg
Views:	395
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	1470   Click image for larger version