Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

My New Rear Jeep Storage Box

Old 04-14-2008, 04:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeyLikesIt
You've got me thinking now... I'd definately want a quick release.
It is somewhat of a quick release right now. In theory I could take the springs off of the spring nuts, and when you wanted to remove the box, just loosen each bolt some without removing it and slide the box off of the uni-strut.
Old 04-14-2008, 07:57 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by kerryp
It is somewhat of a quick release right now. In theory I could take the springs off of the spring nuts, and when you wanted to remove the box, just loosen each bolt some without removing it and slide the box off of the uni-strut.

How about something like this?...

Hope this drawing makes sense...seen from the end of the unistrut.

Bolt a spacer and some flat stock to the bottom of the box so that it will just slide into/onto the uni-strut. Under the flat stock is some 1"x1" (I'm guessing at deminsions) and drill a hole through the uni-strut and the 1x1 tube so that a pin can be placed through each side hold the box in place. Place the pins near the back so that they are easily removed... Pull the two pins and slide the box out.

It's a bit more work but the box could be removed easily and without having to unload the box and then unbolting.

Just an idea
Mikey
Old 04-15-2008, 05:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Can you mount the CO2 bracket vertically on the side of you storage box?
Old 04-15-2008, 12:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

That quick release could work, would jsut be a matter of attaching something (welding or bolting) a tab to the box and drilling a couple of holes in the sides of the unit-strut to allow the pin to go through.

CO2 won't fit on the side.
Old 04-15-2008, 03:54 PM
JK Newbie

kerryp, just saw the update...paint and color looks good...good choice. Thanks for posting. Now I have another thing on my 'to do' list.

Mikey
Old 04-15-2008, 04:04 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought you were gonna get real clever on us and use a full metal plate inside that channel so it would slide forward and back(if you pull a pin) That way you could access you tub easier. Not really sure from the pictures if there is enough room to slide it towards the front though.

Good Job though!
Old 04-15-2008, 04:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rubimon
I thought you were gonna get real clever on us and use a full metal plate inside that channel so it would slide forward and back(if you pull a pin) That way you could access you tub easier. Not really sure from the pictures if there is enough room to slide it towards the front though.

Good Job though!
Actually thought about something like that , was thinking about some sort of wheel or caster.

Thats one of the reasons I used uni-strut to begin with, its flexible. I was thinking about making the uni-strut longer (rear of the tub to the back of the seats) and placing the box on rollers so it would push all the way back against the front seats and then use the exposed unistrut in the rear and make some slide in tie downs that could be popped in and slid to any position to enable me to tie down ice chests and other things.

I just haven't figured out the entire thing yet, maybe one of these days I will take it that far, just need to figure it out and get un-lazy.
Old 03-06-2011, 03:30 PM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default how much was the box??/

you could mount that lots of different ways , even wing nuts inside the box for quick remove and no tools required , great thought i was just thinking about a box like that mounted in my trunk i saw other building decks and all i dont need all that jus a good solid secure box ! thanks for the tip!! great write up u guys are thinkin like i do !!
Old 03-08-2011, 06:45 PM
JK Newbie

does it come in black

Quick Reply: My New Rear Jeep Storage Box